Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Update Thread
Personally, there are a lot of the PrC I feel make sense as Base Class Archetypes. SOLDIER is one I think works either way, I like the spacing of its abilities when it was made into a 20 level deal and the fact that it no longer hampers the progression of your base class.

That being said, when a PrC is made into an archetype it does break the variety a bit... More often than not the class I saw going into SOLDIER was a Fighter, BUT that wasn't the only option and so a lot of other SOLDIER builds were eliminated with that change... Fencer I also feel was a strange move, on the one hand if it becomes all about Feint + Sneak Attack, then yeah Thief fits, but it had up until now played more as a Fighter PrC for the Full BAB frontline play.

Samurai I was a little sad to see made into an archetype, I mean it works decently enough but I actually really liked a build I'd seen a friend run once of Red Mage 10/Samurai X, it capped out at 4th level casting and MP progression beyond then was staggered but they primarily used long-duration buffs and swift heals/damage so they managed to make their MP last since their combat capabilities without magic were still decent, what with being a Samurai.

Pathfinder has been trying for some time now to cut down on how much PrC are used, and as FFd20 is a PF system I feel it should reflect that. In PF Prestige Classes are generally reserved now for characters who focus on one aspect of something a Base Class already does, like Assassin, though they also try to keep it open to others such as Assassin no longer requiring Sneak Attack to enter, and cross-class skills being easier to handle... could go Barbarian 5/Assassin X, bit of an odd direction but hey damage is damage is damage.

Still, when it comes to big changes like this concerning classes it might be best if you lean on the community... even if it means delaying changes until you have enough sufficient opinions and points made, there's always the chance that you're changing something that didn't need to be done. It's hard building a system single-handedly, so maybe you should try to create an 'inner circle' of proof-readers and playtesters? Frankto did it for Nd20, Paizo does it for Pathfinder, it's a tried and true method.
Regarding the Fencer class being an archetype of Thief. Looking over things, wouldn't it be better to make it another hybrid class? Particularly Thief + Fighter. Could give it a lower sneak attack progression than thief to make up for them having full BaB.
5/31/2015 - Major update: Wih the release of Pathfinder Unleashed, I updateed and revised the Beastmaster, Monk, and Thief classes as well as their archetypes. Before I go on with the update, just wanted to say that this *might* be my last update. I will be having eye surgery in the next couple of weeks and if it doesn't go right, I'm afraid I won't be able to do any updating anymore. Wish me luck! Anyways, to the meat and potatoes...

Races

Shindroid - Are now immortal and unaffected by age spells and effects.

Classes

Beastmaster - Changed Animal Companions to utilize any animal instead of outdated 5 starting ones. Removed the animal bonses to rage and updated rage to the new unleashed version.
Knight - Defensive stance got a similar update to mimic the rage from beastmaster.
Monk - Monk HD is up to d10, full BAB, will saves are now poor, and new ki powers. Removed outdated abilities that ki powers now mimic.
Thief - Thieves get Dex for damage for weapons now, new thief talents, delibilating injuries from sneak attacks, and skill unlocks.
Time Mage - Time Mages now get Clear Mind!
White Mage - Removed a duplicated clear mind error.

Prestige Classes

Dragon Disciple - Now updated with the new Monk update.
Elemental Fist Disciple - Now updated with the new Monk update.and abilities now use Ki points instead of MP.

Archetypes

Beastmaster, Monk, and Thief archetypes are now updated with the new stuff.
Evoker - Now changed to the new Summoner's eidolon stuff.

Skills

Skill Unlocks - With the Skill Unlock feat, you can specialized in certain skills to do a variety of effects.

Feats

Extra MP - Changed how this feat work. Flat bonus instead.

Spells

Adoration and Time Shutter now in their perspective places.

Miscellaneous

Variant Multiclassing - Allows an alternate way to multiclass. Optional rules.
Good work with all the new "Unleashed" stuff updates and Sub Jo...I mean "Variant Multiclassing"! Not a fan of the new Extra MP, but that is why there are house rules, eh?

Really hope everything goes well with the surgery!
(P.S. Nelo and I are sorry for finding stuff, making you work harder on it XD)
(06-01-2015, 02:02 PM)Archmagel Wrote: Good work with all the new "Unleashed" stuff updates and Sub Jo...I mean "Variant Multiclassing"! Not a fan of the new Extra MP, but that is why there are house rules, eh?

Really hope everything goes well with the surgery!
(P.S. Nelo and I are sorry for finding stuff, making you work harder on it XD)
Yeah, I mean when you consider that 1 MP = 1 spell level, it's about as good/better than similar feats in DND 3.5, though our casters end up with significantly less MP than Wizards/Sorcerers end up with spells/day, the sacrifice of versatility I suppose.

I'll likely end up keeping the old (+1/level) feat at my table, seems it got the majority of votes in the poll so I assume some circles online will consider the same.
Is the main pdf updated or just the individual entries?
(06-02-2015, 01:29 PM)Wolfen Fenrison Wrote: Is the main pdf updated or just the individual entries?

I'm not sure if he updates the main big one every time.
The Main PDF seldom gets updates, but since this is the last one for a long while, we may get one?
Not updated. Possibly in a next update.
Hope the surgery go's well.
(04-17-2015, 03:41 PM)Shirokiba Wrote: Regarding the Fencer class being an archetype of Thief. Looking over things, wouldn't it be better to make it another hybrid class? Particularly Thief + Fighter. Could give it a lower sneak attack progression than thief to make up for them having full BaB.

Done. Shhh.
6/13/2015 - Minor update: My operation has been pushed back for a little while so I decided to do another update! Hooray. Necromancers get a variety in their bone commanders, Fencers are now a hybrid class. And a new holy knight archetype.

Classes

Necromancer - Necros can now choose between a Warrior, Rogue, or Wizard bone commander.
Fencer - Fencers are now a hybrid class (Fighter/Thief) instead of a thief archetype.

Archetypes

Holy Swordsman - A holy knight archetype that specializes in holy sword techs instead of spells.
On the Horizon: Green Mage made into a Base class. Magicite Knight as a base class (created by LucarinZer0, edited by me). Witch/Warlock of the Coven Base class (different gender grants a different skill set). And probably a couple of archetypes here and there. New Optional Ruleset: Group Limit Break. Don't expect this update anytime soon though. I have renewed my obsession with FF14. Tongue Maybe after I get max level (again) and burn out will I start with another update. Smile
just wanted to join up to say thank you for all your hard work and the effort you guys put into this project =) and i wanted to know if/when you mite update the "slim" pdf that is printer friendly? i have sheet protectors and a 4'' binder with FFd20 written all over it =)
(06-27-2015, 11:37 PM)Dominus Wrote: just wanted to join up to say thank you for all your hard work and the effort you guys put into this project =) and i wanted to know if/when you mite update the "slim" pdf that is printer friendly? i have sheet protectors and a 4'' binder with FFd20 written all over it =)

Maybe after next update. Smile It'll be some time though. Obsessed playing FF14, having no time to update.
(04-16-2015, 10:44 PM)LucarinZer0 Wrote: I for one think No Doubt, SOLDIER should be a Prestige Class, purely because of the context of the class, You were a really great militiaman in the Shinra army, therefore you were taken in for the soldier program.

I agree with THIS statement from the post... I really liked the SOLDIER prestige class, but I think it would be hard to implement in the system judging by the story and restrictions from the company involved with the Prestige class... It may be neat having an allegiance to a company and having to conduct yourself in a specific way as to not besmirch the "ethics", codes, and tenets of a company, possibly even getting side missions from your employers(a contact controlled by the DM would send secret messages or a courier), but that seems pretty difficult to incorporate.

Either way, SOLDIERs are infused with jenova cells and mako energy, and would have bonuses based on that. Maybe you could even lose the need for keeping with the tenets and rules of Shinra if you became an Ex-SOLDIER, like Cloud did, but maybe you would lose the ability to continue levelling up with the SOLDIER prestige class. Just spit-balling here, ideas flowing out.

Doesn't even have to be Shinra necessarily, unless it's in a FF VII campaign.

On that note, even the Turks would be a possibility, but same issues.

- Keirron
Upcoming Monk update: Combo system and Finishers!
That sounds cool!
Not sure if this is the right place, I'm very new (made this account to post this).

In regards to Extra MP, instead of increasing your stat by 4 or granting an extra 2 (taken repeatedly for more), why not just treat it like the toughness feat? Starting at first level you get 1 MP and it increases by an additional 1 per level. Even if you feel like that would be too much, you could increase the MP gained by half your level (max of 10 at 20th). We just started playing over this past weekend and I could feel the problems that a 3.5 Wizard or Sorcerer had. Out of MP so quick and nothing left to do.
(08-31-2015, 11:28 AM)Pyrohemia Wrote: Not sure if this is the right place, I'm very new (made this account to post this).

In regards to Extra MP, instead of increasing your stat by 4 or granting an extra 2 (taken repeatedly for more), why not just treat it like the toughness feat? Starting at first level you get 1 MP and it increases by an additional 1 per level. Even if you feel like that would be too much, you could increase the MP gained by half your level (max of 10 at 20th). We just started playing over this past weekend and I could feel the problems that a 3.5 Wizard or Sorcerer had. Out of MP so quick and nothing left to do.

Hello! This was actually talked about not long ago here: http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/sho...hp?tid=375

Most of the poll decided they wished to have it like the toughness feat (+1MP/Level).

I have felt the problems with the 3.5 and Pathfinder Wiz/Sorc as well. "Yay! I cast 3 Magic Missles, 2 buffs, and a utility! ...now I am useless". That is why I like it the +4 to casting mod for extra MP per day (that and we don't do as much damage as some Pathfinder spells in FFd20. AeroII's max of 3d6+casting mod+10 at 20 vs Scorching ray's 16d6 fire damage at 20). I also like working with the single pool, instead of 9 different pools for each spell level. That's just my two cents.

Edit: Was beat to the punch by Sonic... I mean LucarinZer0. Tongue