Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarification on MP
The book is unclear about how one goes about calculating bonus MP from high ability scores.

Specifically, my question is this: On the table that shows bonus MP, do you gain the bonus MP listed at each new level of your class? Or do you simply have that much bonus MP?

To put this in context: I have a 5th level Red Mage character for a game. She has 20 Charisma (being a Moogle). She also has the Extra MP feat, essentially giving her 24 Charisma for calculating bonus MP. So, the question is this: does she have 18 extra MP from having high Charisma (2+2+2+6+6, adding each level), or simply 6 bonus MP?

In terms of game balance, I suppose it'd be the latter, but low-level mages have precious little MP to begin with. Once they run out, they're next to useless. At higher levels it's not that big a deal, owing to the higher MP pool. But when you're starting new spellcasters who can only cast five spells before being rendered useless for a whole day...
It's what you get, it's not added. so it would be +6. Mental Toughness adds +2 mp at 1st level and +1 added at each level thereafter, so you would have +6 mp at level 5 from it.
(04-13-2013, 11:27 PM)LeoArchon Wrote: The book is unclear about how one goes about calculating bonus MP from high ability scores.

Specifically, my question is this: On the table that shows bonus MP, do you gain the bonus MP listed at each new level of your class? Or do you simply have that much bonus MP?

To put this in context: I have a 5th level Red Mage character for a game. She has 20 Charisma (being a Moogle). She also has the Extra MP feat, essentially giving her 24 Charisma for calculating bonus MP. So, the question is this: does she have 18 extra MP from having high Charisma (2+2+2+6+6, adding each level), or simply 6 bonus MP?

In terms of game balance, I suppose it'd be the latter, but low-level mages have precious little MP to begin with. Once they run out, they're next to useless. At higher levels it's not that big a deal, owing to the higher MP pool. But when you're starting new spellcasters who can only cast five spells before being rendered useless for a whole day...

As Ray said.

As for game balance, its the same as normal wizards/sorcerers in Pathfinder/D&D. Run out of spells, semi-useless for the whole day. But.. I did add Power Rods and Staves as an alternative for mages.