Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Itching to get back into it, but...
Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should fix or add or whatever?

My list of things I want to do are as follows:

Finish the Summoner spell list.
Fix/add talents to Chocobo Knight.
Fix Monster Compendium with updates from the Blue Mage spells as well as reworking Aeons.
Finish the Assassin base class.
Work on the follow prestige class ideas: Caller (Summoner prestige class), Puppetmaster (Engineer prestige class), Beast Tamer (Beastmaster prestige class).
Possibly a Pathfinder conversion.
FFd20 Technology Book (someday)
Just going by your list, I would think that tacking the tasks you have already started would be the easiest to complete. Though, if you have serious thoughts on converting to Pathfinder, then that would be the most immediate priority so you won't have to potentially rework the materials you've worked on earlier (if that makes any sense).

With regards to the other materials in the list, I do have a few suggestions (in no particular order).

I like the idea of giving prestige classes to the base classes which had only a single alternative. It not only allows for better game variety, but expands the flavor of the game. I could suggest other potential prestige classes not listed just for the sake of listing, but no sense in doing so unless you ask for ideas.

I do have a question, if you don't mind me asking. Couldn't the Assassin class be an advanced class for the Thief? This comes from a limited perspective as I have only ever seen the Assassin class be a more advanced class rather than a base. But, it would give thieves another option besides just Ninja.

EDIT: I did remember that you had begun working on special weapons, armor and item sets. Maybe that can be added to the list?
(01-25-2013, 11:10 PM)ZeronosVega Wrote: I do have a question, if you don't mind me asking. Couldn't the Assassin class be an advanced class for the Thief? This comes from a limited perspective as I have only ever seen the Assassin class be a more advanced class rather than a base. But, it would give thieves another option besides just Ninja.

EDIT: I did remember that you had begun working on special weapons, armor and item sets. Maybe that can be added to the list?

Possible and probably. I don't even remember the reason why I started an Assassin base class in the first place.

And yeah, special weapons, armor, and item sets too. >.<
(01-25-2013, 10:08 PM)Viladin Wrote: Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should fix or add or whatever?

My list of things I want to do are as follows:

Finish the Summoner spell list.
Fix/add talents to Chocobo Knight.
Fix Monster Compendium with updates from the Blue Mage spells as well as reworking Aeons.
Finish the Assassin base class.
Work on the follow prestige class ideas: Caller (Summoner prestige class), Puppetmaster (Engineer prestige class), Beast Tamer (Beastmaster prestige class).
Possibly a Pathfinder conversion.
FFd20 Technology Book (someday)
My opinion is that this is enough for you to tackle right now. I can't think of anything else to add(other than the special weapons, armor and item sets already mentioned).

I'd say there are a few things you should prioritize(in my opinion at least).

1. If you're seriously thinking about converting to Pathfinder then I'd say that should be job number 1 as that will affect the system as a whole.
2. I'd say fixing the Monster Compendium would be job number 2(especially if you switch to Pathfinder since the way they handle monsters is a bit different since it's Pathfinder not 3.5) and Blue Mage is one of the more important base classes in my opinion.
3. The Chocobo Knight and Summoner spell list are both about as important in my opinion so these should be job number 3, Chocobo Knight works as is and the Summoner isn't a class I've seen in use very much so they can be put off until the above are taken care of.
4. Job number 4 should probably be the prestige classes, as those are definitely not as important as the base classes(and Summoner will need to be finished before you can do the Caller).
5. Job number 5 I'd say should be special weapons, armors and item sets. Not too important at the moment and I'd say only work on them when you've either got inspiration or have most everything else you want to work on finished.
6. Job number 6 I'd say would be the tech book, do that whenever you feel you've finished everything else to satisfaction as such a book will likely be a large endeavor.

I don't see much point in having an assassin class to be honest. Such a class has only shown up in three of the Tactics games and in two of those it was a Viera exclusive class.

These are just my opinions and what I feel is most important to least important of course so take it as you will. Just fiogured I'd throw in my two gil.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
I've been playing in Pathfinder games, so I've come to love the system as it is. And of course, I've borrowed heavily from Pathfinder classes already. It shouldn't take much other than making sure I've combed through everything to be Pathfinder-converted. Just worried of alienating people who don't like Pathfinder or just want to stick with 3.5.
You could take a poll on the site here to see how many people would or wouldn't like to see a full Pathfinder conversion.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
(01-27-2013, 01:46 AM)Viladin Wrote: I've been playing in Pathfinder games, so I've come to love the system as it is. And of course, I've borrowed heavily from Pathfinder classes already. It shouldn't take much other than making sure I've combed through everything to be Pathfinder-converted. Just worried of alienating people who don't like Pathfinder or just want to stick with 3.5.

Admittedly, I've never played Pathfinder but I have heard good things about the system. If possible, could you tell us what some of the obvious changes to the system would be if it were switched over to a Pathfinder base?

I will also note that I don't have any particular loyalties to D&D v.3.5, though I do enjoy the variety of feats it offers. I guess you could say that 3.5 is a great repository for additional content.
(01-27-2013, 10:18 AM)ZeronosVega Wrote:
(01-27-2013, 01:46 AM)Viladin Wrote: I've been playing in Pathfinder games, so I've come to love the system as it is. And of course, I've borrowed heavily from Pathfinder classes already. It shouldn't take much other than making sure I've combed through everything to be Pathfinder-converted. Just worried of alienating people who don't like Pathfinder or just want to stick with 3.5.

Admittedly, I've never played Pathfinder but I have heard good things about the system. If possible, could you tell us what some of the obvious changes to the system would be if it were switched over to a Pathfinder base?

I will also note that I don't have any particular loyalties to D&D v.3.5, though I do enjoy the variety of feats it offers. I guess you could say that 3.5 is a great repository for additional content.

Pathfinder changes that I can remember: (and that I liked)
Different (better imo) point buy system
+1 to two different stats at every 4 levels instead of 1.
Dropping of the Concentration skill, now every caster has it ingrained.
Tiny level bonuses that you can upgrade, like for example, the generic one is either add 1 skill point or 1 hit point every level. There are class ones too.
A system that handles all combat maneuvers, like Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush, etc.
Skill system (I didn't quite like this one, but it sorta works) is slightly different. You no longer get X4 at level 1, but each skill that you put at least 1 rank in becomes Trained and gains +3 bonus.
(01-27-2013, 10:28 AM)Viladin Wrote: Pathfinder changes that I can remember: (and that I liked)
Different (better imo) point buy system
+1 to two different stats at every 4 levels instead of 1.
Dropping of the Concentration skill, now every caster has it ingrained.
Tiny level bonuses that you can upgrade, like for example, the generic one is either add 1 skill point or 1 hit point every level. There are class ones too.
A system that handles all combat maneuvers, like Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush, etc.
Skill system (I didn't quite like this one, but it sorta works) is slightly different. You no longer get X4 at level 1, but each skill that you put at least 1 rank in becomes Trained and gains +3 bonus.

Most interesting.

1. The point buy system is something I've actually used for a while with Final Fantasy d20. Unless I'm just imagining it, a version of the rules mentioned the +1 to two different stats.
  2. Losing concentration is an interesting change, one which I would like to see in game before I make a judgment on it. It does make sense that seasoned spellcasters would be able to keep their concentration for the purpose of casting, as that is what they are trained to do rather than make it so reliant on Constitution.
  3. The tiny level bonuses intrigue me. This is something I would have to look into, but I love being able to customize level growth as much as possible.
  4. I'm a tad confused by "A system that handles all combat maneuvers, like Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush, etc." By this, do you mean that it is more streamlined or that the rules have been altered for the better? Again, something I will want to look into.
  5. That kind of skill system reminds me of the Star Wars Saga Edition/ D&D 4e skill training mechanic, where you invest in a skill and gain a (I believe) +5 bonus to the skill and are considered trained. Admittedly, it makes for a more simplified system, but it also makes it harder for characters who really rely on skills/want to have exceptional results happen often. Though, it does work wonders for classes with low skill points, as it means they can cover their skills more easily.

Also, I did want to make mention that, while Pathfinder is a system you actually purchase, there is an SRD that I just wanted to make mention of, found here.
I used that website extensively. Smile

2. The concentration skill is basically replaced by a spellcaster level check plus appropriate caster stat modifier (int for black mage, wis for white mage, etc).

4. Its more streamlined and easier to understand. There is no opposing checks. You have a set defense against combat maneuvers and a set offense.
(01-27-2013, 11:07 AM)Viladin Wrote: I used that website extensively. Smile

2. The concentration skill is basically replaced by a spellcaster level check plus appropriate caster stat modifier (int for black mage, wis for white mage, etc).

4. Its more streamlined and easier to understand. There is no opposing checks. You have a set defense against combat maneuvers and a set offense.

Hmm... your point on #4 reminds me, once again, of the Saga Edition rules for save bonuses. In that system, rather than rolling for Fortitude, Reflex or Will, you have a set defense which is opposed by the attacker/caster. Likewise, certain armors and items increase different defenses, along with the standard defense score. It seems to me that Pathfinder and Saga Edition share many similar ideas. If you haven't already, I would recommend looking into the Saga Edition materials just for the sake of reading it.

Unfortunately, it is a discontinued game, so the materials will be harder to obtain.
Yeah, I have all the SAGA books. Big Grin

Basically, your CMD (Combat Maneuver Defense) is equated to 10 + Str/Dex Mod + Size (or -)

Your Combat maneuver bonus is the same as you would do a normal trip/bullrush/disarm/etc check. BAB + Str mod + misc bonus.

And all you need to roll is against the opponent's CMD. No opposing checks.
That +1 to 2 stats at every 4th level is probably an optional rule, not part of core PF.

You get fewer skill points, but so many skills are consolidated that you get more mileage out of the ones you do take. A rogue can take Acrobatics, Diplomacy, Stealth, Disable Device and Perception and be the equivalent of a 3.5 rogue with ranks in Tumble, Balance, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Disable Device, Open Lock, Hide, Move Silently, Search, Spot and Listen.

Pathfinder was a good start but they didn't go far enough. Warriors still can't keep up with casters, and Paizo slapped a handful of the most overpowered spells with the nerf bat. The rest of them are intact. But since your system uses custom classes (and it's already been noted that, if anything, magic is weak in this system) this should work out well. Teslas probably won't like it.

For the record, I like Legend best. Not that I've ever had a chance to play it.
(01-27-2013, 03:23 PM)Nihilarian Wrote: That +1 to 2 stats at every 4th level is probably an optional rule, not part of core PF.

Odd, I thought it was in the core but I was wrong. Weird.
Majority of people I know(myself included), that loved 3.5, adore Pathfinder as well. So I do not think the conversion will cause much strife in the player base. Also, to anyone who needs it. I have all the material for Pathfinder, SAGA and Legend on pdf., as well as a number of other systems.
I'll probably put off converting to Pathfinder until I fix Summoner. Just realizing its going to be alot of work.
(01-28-2013, 11:00 PM)Viladin Wrote: I'll probably put off converting to Pathfinder until I fix Summoner. Just realizing its going to be alot of work.
This might help with the conversion.
It helps, but still a lot of stuff to change and add. Especially... thinking about Archetypes makes me cry.
Archetypes are not one of my favorite aspects of pathfinder. I prefer ACF's.
Well, against my bitter screaming mind, started converting to Pathfinder. Smile