Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scholar and Summoner Questions
Hey everyone. I've only recently found out about this system, and I'm planning to DM a game for a couple of my friends. Right now, two players have shown interest in the Scholar (an Arithmetician, to be more precise) and a Summoner, respectively.
For the Scholar, on the Spells section of the class it states that it uses both Intelligence and Wisdom to determine his bonus MP. My question is: do I use either Int or Wis or both at the same time?
As for the Summoner, I wanted to ask about the spell Photosynthesis (the Summoner version, not the Blue Mage one):
Quote:Photosynthesis
School summoning/enhancing/healing; Level summoner 1

CASTING
Casting Time 1 full-round action

EFFECT
Range 15 ft.
Area allies within a 15-ft.-radius centered on you
Duration 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless); Spell Resistance yes (harmless)

DESCRIPTION
You call forth Mandragora, a small plant-like humanoid that bestows Fast Healing 1 upon your allies.
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but... Is the duration of the spell intentional? Maybe I'm missing something, but 1 min/CL of fast healing 1 for all allies seems like an awful lot of healing for a level 1 spell. I know that it only really works out of combat, and that Summoner seems to have some slightly stronger spells than other classes, but even then this scales really fast. Hell, it ends up healing more than Life Guard, a 3rd level spell from the same class!
If there are no plans to change the spell, what are some suggestions to balance it out? I've thought about reducing the duration to rounds/CL, but then Moogle Charm ends up overshadowing it, mostly. I also don't want to remove it completely, since the class doesn't have the biggest spell selection, and the spell itself fits the flavor that my player's going for. Regardless, thanks in advance, and sorry if this post went on for far too long.
(11-05-2019, 10:05 AM)DarkLX Wrote: Hey everyone. I've only recently found out about this system, and I'm planning to DM a game for a couple of my friends. Right now, two players have shown interest in the Scholar (an Arithmetician, to be more precise) and a Summoner, respectively.
For the Scholar, on the Spells section of the class it states that it uses both Intelligence and Wisdom to determine his bonus MP. My question is: do I use either Int or Wis or both at the same time?
As for the Summoner, I wanted to ask about the spell Photosynthesis (the Summoner version, not the Blue Mage one):
Quote:Photosynthesis
School summoning/enhancing/healing; Level summoner 1

CASTING
Casting Time 1 full-round action

EFFECT
Range 15 ft.
Area allies within a 15-ft.-radius centered on you
Duration 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless); Spell Resistance yes (harmless)

DESCRIPTION
You call forth Mandragora, a small plant-like humanoid that bestows Fast Healing 1 upon your allies.
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but... Is the duration of the spell intentional? Maybe I'm missing something, but 1 min/CL of fast healing 1 for all allies seems like an awful lot of healing for a level 1 spell. I know that it only really works out of combat, and that Summoner seems to have some slightly stronger spells than other classes, but even then this scales really fast. Hell, it ends up healing more than Life Guard, a 3rd level spell from the same class!
If there are no plans to change the spell, what are some suggestions to balance it out? I've thought about reducing the duration to rounds/CL, but then Moogle Charm ends up overshadowing it, mostly. I also don't want to remove it completely, since the class doesn't have the biggest spell selection, and the spell itself fits the flavor that my player's going for. Regardless, thanks in advance, and sorry if this post went on for far too long.

Scholar: Both.

Summoner: The spell is intentional. Summoner spells are supposed to be strong due to their full-round casting.

Fair enough. Still, I feel that outside of combat a full-round action wouldn't be a problem at all, but maybe I'm overvaluing the healing in my head. Thanks for taking the time to answer, though!