Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help adapting some things to a FFXI game
Hello, all.  Found this awesome site a while ago and I had the idea to run a campaign set entirely in FFXI's world of Vana'diel, as I played the game for several years and loved it, however none of my friends in my tabletop group know much of anything about it.  So I'm trying to adapt things within the listed rules to fit much better with FFXI's system, and I was hoping to get some good suggestions.  I'm sure I could come up with some eventually, however I'm new to the pathfinder system and I'm still trying to learn the mechanics (Those that differ from D&D 5e).

To start, I'm trying to go through each of the jobs and see what will work and what won't.  What I need to work on are the following:

- A complete rewrite of Corsair from scratch.  Corsair is more of a Gambler/Gunner in FFXI.  It's a support role that boosts the power of its support abilities by rolling a d6 while attempting to get as close to a cumulative total of 11 as possible without going over.  Each of these different support rolls is based off a different job in the game: Warrior, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage, Monk, Red Mage, Paladin, Dark Knight, Beastmaster, Bard, Ranger, Samurai, Ninja, Dragoon, Summoner, Blue Mage, Corsair, Puppetmaster, Dancer, Scholar, Geomancer, and Rune Fencer.  Each of those rolls bestows a different effect to nearby allies (Probably within 30 feet or so) that corresponds to some aspect of the job they're based on, and proportional to how well the Corsair rolls.  If he goes over 11 the effect "busts" and disappears, and he can double-up on a subsequent turn and try to roll another d6 to get closer to 11.
Offensively, Corsair's weapon of choice is a gun.  He can also shoot through special cards he carries around to deal elemental damage to his shots.  These shots have the tendency to lengthen the effects of certain status effects already present on enemies, assuming the status corresponds to the used element.  Slow with Earth Shot, Burn with Fire Shot, etc.

- A moderate rework of Summoner, similar to the Caller Archetype but without the half-level penalty.  In exchange, the summoner will be forming pacts throughout the course of the campaign.  With an Avatar summoned, most of their spells would then be to have the avatar use the appropriate skill, be it offensive or support.  Summoner would also be able to buy scrolls that allow them to pact with elemental spirits in the absence of an Avatar.

- A minor rework of Dark Knight to remove the alignment restriction and replace the abilities that involve hindering or damaging good-aligned creatures.  Dark Knights in XI channel rage and anger into their attacks, but are not inherently evil.  Many are considered more the antihero, avenger-types.

I appreciate any help anyone could give and am willing to talk back and forth with you.
When I ran a game in Vana'diel, I found that Summoner was my only major hangup, so I wrote a major overhaul archetype, as you described: Ruby Summoner. Feel free to copy and edit whatever you want from my design, since you seem to be going towards a more strict FFXI experience.

It also includes Avatar stats for Fenrir, Cait Sith, Garuda, and Ramuh, plus elemental Spirits that can fill in gaps before a Ruby Summoner can get their next Whisper.
(08-29-2018, 10:36 PM)SamtheDeathclaw Wrote: When I ran a game in Vana'diel, I found that Summoner was my only major hangup, so I wrote a major overhaul archetype, as you described: Ruby Summoner. Feel free to copy and edit whatever you want from my design, since you seem to be going towards a more strict FFXI experience.

It also includes Avatar stats for Fenrir, Cait Sith, Garuda, and Ramuh, plus elemental Spirits that can fill in gaps before a Ruby Summoner can get their next Whisper.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a ton!
Alright, so after studying up on the site and the Pathfinder handbook I think I know enough to at least contribute to the creation of Corsair. I'll start by trying to define an example of its core mechanic and give an example of its use.

Phantom Roll: As a Standard Action, the Corsair rolls 1d6 and may choose to roll any number of additional d6's as free actions until they decide to stand, or the cumulative total exceeds 11. A Corsair has a limited number of Phantom Rolls per day equal to 1 per X levels in Corsair plus their Charisma modifier and regain all uses after 8 hours of uninterrupted rest. A Corsair may have the active effects of up to 2 Phantom Rolls present on any party member at any given time. If the cumulative total of a Phantom Roll ever exceeds 11, the roll is considered to have "busted". It consumes the use of the Phantom Roll and occupies one of the Corsair's active uses of Phantom Roll on all party members for 1 minute, regardless if they were the target of the effects or not. A third active roll effect replaces the oldest active roll effect on a targeted character except in the case of a Bust. Corsairs may learn a new Phantom Roll from the Phantom Roll list at a rate of 1 per x levels of Corsair.

An example of one of the Phantom Rolls:
Healer's Roll:
1-5: Restores hit points to one ally within 30 feet equal to 1d6+CHR modifier
6-7: Restores hit points to one ally within 40 feet equal to 2d6+CHR modifier
8: Restores hit points to two allies within 40 feet equal to 2d6+CHR modifier
9: Restores hit points to two allies within 50 feet equal to 3d6+CHR modifier and grants Fast Healing 1 for 1 minute.
10: Restores hit points to three allies within 50 feet equal to 3d6+CHR modifier and grants Fast Healing 1 for 1 minute.
11: Restores hit points to four allies within 60 feet equal to 4d6+CHR modifier. Grants Fast Healing 1 and maximizes any further healing received for 1 minute.

Phantom Rolls would generally be tied to a class in the game. In the example above, this would be White Mage's corresponding roll. I'll do my best to think of new roll effects myself, and of course you all are free to suggest some for any of the classes, but please keep in mind I will specifically need ones for Fighter (Warrior preferred), Thief, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, Holy Knight (Paladin preferred), Beastmaster, Bard, Archer, Samurai, Ninja, Dragoon, Summoner, Blue Mage, Engineer (Puppetmaster preferred), Dancer, Scholar, Geomancer, and Fencer (Rune Fencer preferred)