Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting Classes from Pathfinder to FFd20 - Advice?
So, outside of my ongoing project, I want to convert the Investigator (Advanced Class Guide), Kineticist (Occult Adventures), and Vigilante (Ultimate Intrigue) to be on par with FFd20 classes, and was thinking about using Freelancer Character Points as a measuring tool. Does anyone have any suggestions on which classes to compare CP values with or what abilities to add/change?
<>Ever on the Hunt for the Ultimate<>
<>D20 Class Change System<>
Freelancer is usually LESS points than a normal class, btw. Less points, but customizable.
(12-29-2017, 05:17 PM)Viladin Wrote: Freelancer is usually LESS points than a normal class, btw. Less points, but customizable.

I'm using Character Points to determine how powerful a class is (Kineticist is around 90 CP at 1st level, and is comparable in concept to a hybrid of Black Mage and Geomancer).
Ok, I've tried to figure out the current CP values for Kineticist, Geomancer, and Black Mage (I'm a little confused on how to call Geomancer's weapon proficiency, but I'm considering it to be simple weapon only for now):

[code]                   Kineticist Geomancer Black Mage
Core Stat CP       22         45?       32
Total 1st level CP 92         105?      82[/code]
I guess the Kineticist only needs one or two Limit Breaks, change all of the blasts to energy blasts, remove aether, split water and air into water, ice (cryokinesis), air, and lightning (elecrokinesis), and redo/expand the wild talent list. Any suggestions?
Found the Kineticist on d20pfsrd.com
I was thinking about giving each element two simple blasts: one that deals Elemental damage, and one that inflicts their associated status effect. Also considering dropping explosion for -ra, -ga, and -ja universal infusions, changing kinetic healer so that it's universal, but affected by absorption, immunity, and vulnerability (half as much damage healed for creatures that are vulnerable to that element, x1.5 healed for creatures that are immune, and double healing for creatures that has absorption), and providing a bonus of some sort for wielding a power rod/staff of the appropriate element while making blasts or using utility wild talents. Any suggestions?

Edit: I'll make a list of universal wild talents tomorrow.
To be quite fair, I wouldn't even bother with the Kineticist at all. It's a rather poorly designed class, one that feels like it was being made by multiple people who couldn't agree on how it should work, or whether or not they should be super harsh (as is the norm) on classes who have fancy at-will abilites. I'm not trying to be an ass here, but if you want to do a bunch of elemental damage and have pseudo-magical effects, you're better off using Path of War maneuvers, Elemental Flux, Riven Hourglass, and Veiled Moon in particular for a lot of different effects.

Then again, since we would be converting it, that also means there's some editing room to be done as well. Which it will certainly need, since the Kineticist usually has to dump a lot of hit points into burn to be able to complete with other decent damage-based characters in Pathfinder, and will be completely laughed off by pretty much any FFd20 class in terms of damage output, even if they decide to try and nova.
Kineticist Universal Wild Talents:

Infusions:
1st - draining, energize weapon, extended range, kinetic blade, kinetic fist
2nd - blade rush, elemental breath, focused, penetrating, spindle
3rd - extreme range, flurry of blasts, kinetic whip, mobile, snake, unnerving, "-ra"
4th - pulse
5th - blade whirlwind, grappling, unraveling, wall, "-ga"
6th - whip hurricane
7th - pure, "-ja"
8th -
9th - ruinous

Utility:
1st - elemental whispers, kinetic cover, kinetic healer, longshot, skilled kineticist
2nd - skilled kineticist (greater)
3rd - elemental grip, elemental whispers (greater), kinetic restoration
4th - expanded defence, healing burst
5th - elemental shield, kinetic form, spark of life
6th - kinetic revivification, ride the blast
7th -
8th - reverse shift
9th -
(01-02-2018, 08:13 PM)Manly Man Wrote: Then again, since we would be converting it, that also means there's some editing room to be done as well. Which it will certainly need, since the Kineticist usually has to dump a lot of hit points into burn to be able to complete with other decent damage-based characters in Pathfinder, and will be completely laughed off by pretty much any FFd20 class in terms of damage output, even if they decide to try and nova.

So I should add a few more ways to cut down on burn and/or reduce the effects of burn.

I thought of making a limit break that allows them to use blasts (infusions included) and utility wild talents for zero burn for 1 round + 1 round for every four levels after 1st. Not sure what I'd call it, though.
That's a start. If you ask me, the whole idea of a Burn mechanic should have never come into play in the first place; the Warlock from D&D 3.5- upon which the Kineticist is primarily based- sure didn't need it, and they had even more impressive stuff they could do than the Kineticist does. If the idea of them not being punished for keeping up having a limiting factor is so unappealing, then the designers should have implemented something more like the wild surge ability of the Wilder, where there's an actual risk/reward factor going on, and then there's a number of issues with the wild talents themselves, namely how much you get for what you spend (whether or not it's worth it to bother with a talent because it has burn attached to it shouldn't be an issue in the first place, for one).
I've played Neverwinter Nights 2, which was built on D&D 3.5e, but I could only use one invocation in conjunction with eldritch blast when I played as a Warlock. The Kineticist can use two infusions with a single blast, one form and one substance, so burn might be necessary, but the effects could be toned down. How about removing the limit on the points of burn they can accept and treating burn damage as normal non-lethal damage (can be reduced and healed)?

I was also considering grafting Kinetic Chirugeon on to the base class so they can do a decent job healing as well. Combined with the above proposal, burn will hopefully be a minor setback.
I thought of a name for the limit break above:

Effortless Kinesis (Su):
For 1 round + 1 round for every 4 levels after 1st, a Kineticist may use any blasts, infusions, and utility wild talents they know at zero burn instead of their normal burn cost.

What should the other limit break be?
Am I making Burn too irrelevant?

I think there should be another limit break, but I don't know what it should be. Any suggestions?
You could also use the spheres of power for a reference with converting kineticist. They work in a similar manner to the infusions, with a built in MP system that can be translated over. It would just need some expanding and focusing on certain areas.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-ma...-of-power/
If you want a better fist laser user, look at the vigilante warlock archetype
Angry Grammar dark knights are always watching Angry