Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragonheart - Archetype-In-Progress
[color=#ffffff]I completed the Dragon Child, so I decided to start another dragon-themed archetype, this time for Fighter. Admittedly, it's heavily inspired by Legend of Dragoon.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Dragonheart[/color]
[color=#ffffff]When a dragon dies, be it natural or at the hands of another, sometimes it's soul breaks away from the lifestream, only to be trapped in the body of a lesser being with its own resident soul. Despite the major differences of personality between the dragon's soul and the host's, they occasionally align themselves as one in the pursuit of a singular goal for short periods of time. Their road increasingly becomes one of compromise between the two.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Dragonheart is an archetype of the Fighter class.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Dragonheart is proficient with weapons from the fighter weapon group that he chose for Weapon Expertise, and with light and medium armor. He is also proficient in light and heavy shields if the weapon group he chose includes shields of the appropriate type.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]This replaces the Fighter's normal proficiencies.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Elemental Affinity: At 1st level, a Dragonheart chooses an element, which determines the elemental properties of some of his Synchronized benefits.[/color]

[color=#ffffff][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]Dragon's Personality (Ex): [/font][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]At 1st level, a Dragonheart's dragon soul gains a Dragon Order. Unlike the Dragon Order ability gained through the other archetypes, he does not choose his Dragon Order, instead rolling to determine the Order he receives, his Order also includes two Affirmations that grants a synchronization charge each time he fulfills one of them, and he may freely commit Taboos, though doing so forces a Will save (DC = 20 + 1/2 the Dragonheart's character level) to avoid losing a number of charges equal to his negative Charisma modifier (minimum 1; I may change it later on). If this loss would reduce him to zero charges, each charge lost beyond that point instead causes the other Dragonheart archetype abilities to cease functioning for 24 hours (i.e. 2 charges lost when he is at zero charges causes his abilities to stop working for 48 hours).[/font][/color]

[color=#ffffff]Weapon Expertise: Also at 1st level, a Dragonheart chooses a fighter weapon group. This will determine what weapons he is proficient with, as well as what weapon techniques he may use and what Additions he will get as he progresses. (Buster swords are in the same groups as a greatsword; Knight swords are in the same groups as a bastard sword; gunblades are in the same groups as a pistol sword cane)[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Weapon Techniques (Ex): At 1st level, a Dragonheart gains a set of techniques corresponding to his Weapon Expertise choice and can utilize these techniques as part of Additions (see below) or in place of normal attacks. (I need to make some new techniques and sort them into a set for each weapon group)[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Additions (Ex): At 1st level, a Dragonheart can make a chain of sudden attacks against a single target. As a full-attack action, he may declare a single creature that he could make a normal full-attack against as his target, declare which Addition he will attempt, and then attack his target, following the attack chain of the Addition he chose. He cannot switch targets while making this full-attack. He makes all of these attacks at his highest attack bonus, with each attack after the first taking a culmilative -5 penalty. If one of these attacks miss, the full-attack ends immediately and the chain is broken. Should the entire chain of attacks land, the Addition's effect activates as part of the final attack. Creatures that would fall unconscious or die from an Addition attack does not do so until after the full-attack, with every attack beyond the one that would render the target unconscious or dead treating the target as though the target was flat-footed and at 0 HP. Each attack through this ability that lands grants a charge to his synchronization pool (see below), and complete Additions (all attacks in the chain landed) grant an extra charge.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Additions will be learned in a linear progression.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Synchronization Pool (Ex): At 1st level, the proximity of the Dragonheart's and dragon's souls waxes and wanes throughout his life. He gains a[/color]
[color=#ffffff]synchronization pool that can hold a number of charges equal to 10+his class level.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Synchronize (Su): Also at 1st level, a Dragonheart's soul occasionally aligns itself with the dragon's soul, gaining numerous Draconic advantages for short periods of time. As a swift action at the beginning of his turn, he may drain his synchronization pool of all of its charges, becoming Synchronized for 1 round for every 10 charges that was in the pool. Any charges he gains while Synchronized is added to the number of charges he drained, which may extend the duration of Synchronized.[/color]
[color=#ffffff]While Synchronized, a Dragonheart gains the following benefits:[/color]
  • [color=#ffffff]At 1st level, he gains the benefits of Arcane Strike, which is always active while he is Synchronized. A Dragonheart has an effective caster level equal to his class level when determining the effects of Arcane Strike.[/color]
  • [color=#ffffff]At 3rd level, he gains a +1 natural armor bonus, energy resistance 10 against her element, and energy resistance 5 to his element's strength. At 7th level, this increases to a +2 natural armor bonus, energy resistance 20 to his element, and energy resistance 10 to his element's strength; at 13th level, it increases to a +3 natural armor bonus, immunity to his element, energy resistance 20 to his element's strength, and vulnerability to his element's weakness.[/color]
  • [color=#ffffff]At 3rd level, his attacks deals an additional 1d4 points of damage of  his energy type.[/color]
  • [color=#ffffff]At 5th level, he gains the benefits of Dazzling Display. He does not need a weapon in hand to use this ability, and he can use it as a standard action.[/color]
  • [color=#ffffff]At 15th level, he grows leathery dragon wings from his back, granting him a fly speed of 60 feet with average maneuverability.[/color]
  • [color=#ffffff]At 20th level, he gains absorption of his element, immunity to paralysis, sleep, and his element's strength, as well as blindsense with a range of 60 feet.[/color]
[color=#ffffff]Resonance (Ex): At 5th level, a Dragonheart learns to Synchronize more easily. The number of charges per round of being Synchronized is reduced by 1 (he only needs 9 charges per round). At 10th, 15th, and 20th level, the number of charges is reduced by another 1, to a minimum of 6 charges per round.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]Grand Finale (Ex): At nth level, a Dragonheart can dispatch a creature through Additions with such flair that even a dragon would be impressed. When one of his Additions leaves his target unconscious or dead, he gains double the normal number of charges from that Addition.[/color]

[color=#ffffff]I haven't thought of what class features to replace with these. Any suggestions?[/color]
<>Ever on the Hunt for the Ultimate<>
<>D20 Class Change System<>
See dragon heir scion fighter
Angry Grammar dark knights are always watching Angry
As for things that aren’t on the PF fighter archetype:

Dragon themed fighter talents such as claws, bite, wings
Breath weapon
Temporary dragonoid transformation via LB
Updated the Dragonheart.
For clarity’s sake I would recommend adding this line: A Dragonheart treats his fighter levels as caster levels for the purpose of arcane strike
Synchronization doesn’t last very long so I would recommend either increasing how large the pool is or adding a way of gaining synchronization. My first thought for that would be have each addition that hits after the first gives one synchronization stack
Added a line to the Arcane Strike benefit that should have a similar effect.

The Synchronization pool is kind of a measure of how close to your frame of mind the dragon soul is, so I was thinking about adding a choice of one personality trait to add to the dragon soul, each with two acts (Affirmations) that automatically gives charges as the dragon soul is pleased and two acts (Taboos) that forces a Will save to prevent losing charges as the dragon soul is revolted.

I was thinking about making a chain of fighter talents that both grants the normal benefit of Synchronization, one bullet point at a time, constantly, and granting a stronger bonus for the same bullet point while he is Synchronized.

Am I correct in making Synchronization a supernatural ability and Resonance an extraordinary one? Answered my own question.
From a fluff standpoint: resonance could be either
From a mechanical standpoint: it makes no difference
Went looking through the magic rules in the CRB, and there is a difference between Extraordinary and Supernatural abilities: Extraordinary abilities work normally in antimagic areas; Supernatural abilities don't work at all in such areas.

I updated the archetype again.

I've come up with the following for the talent chain: (Synchronized bonus that becomes constant > new Synchronized bonus gained in its place)
  • Arcane Strike > Natural Attacks/Draconic Flurry(special Additions using Synchronized Natural Attacks instead of techniques, gaining double charges, which stack with Grand Finale for quadruple charges)
  • Natural Armor/Energy Resistance > Spell Resistance
  • Elemental Damage > Breath Weapon
  • Dazzling Display > Frightful Presence?(too similar?)
  • Wings > Secondary Movement Speed Bonus
  • Capstone > (undecided)

Thoughts on the dragon's personality idea?
I came up with an example personality trait for the dragon's soul:

Honorable:
Affirmations:
  • Keep a significant promise
  • Demonstrate remarkable decorum and restraint
Taboos:
  • Shady or dishonorable behavior
  • Break a promise

I'm still looking for a second opinion for the fighter talent chain and personality trait idea. Any suggestions?
I decided to make an ability/attribute called Dragon Order for most of the other archetypes in my project and make a variant of it for the Dragonheart:

Dragon's Personality (Ex): At 1st level, a Dragonheart's dragon soul gains a Dragon Order. Unlike the Dragon Order ability gained through the other archetypes, he does not choose his Dragon Order, instead rolling to determine the Order he receives, his Order also includes two Affirmations that grants a synchronization charge each time he fulfills one of them, and he may freely commit Taboos, though doing so forces a Will save (DC = 20 + 1/2 the Dragonheart's character level) to avoid losing a number of charges equal to his negative Charisma modifier (minimum 1; I may change it later on). If this loss would reduce him to zero charges, each charge lost beyond that point instead causes the other Dragonheart archetype abilities to cease functioning for 24 hours (i.e. 2 charges lost when he is at zero charges causes his abilities to stop working for 48 hours).

I need help brainstorming Dragon Orders. Any suggestions?
Can anyone think of more abilities for this archetype or what abilities this archetype should replace?
Updated again, puting Draconic Personality with the rest of the archetype.

I would love some feedback.
I came up with a limit break:

Sudden Synchronization (Su):
The Dragonheart becomes Synchronized for 1 round + 1 round for every 4 levels after 1st. Becoming Synchronized in this manner does not drain your Synchronization pool. Using this limit break is a swift action.
I still need help with what features to replace with these.