Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
burn/slice/freeze etc.
Their are several single target level 5 black mage spells that seem very underwhelming. Burn, drown, freeze, slice, crush, and shock are single target variants of the aga spells, but the aga spells are better in almost every possible way. more damage, aoe (which is worse in certain circumstances, but mostly a huge plus), and range. The only thing the single targets seem to have are the mildly uncomfortable status effects they instill, and even then, the target gets a save every round to end it.

[font=Times New Roman]Aeroga
[/font]

Elemental (Wind)

Level: Black Mage/Red Mage 5

Casting Time: 1 standard action

Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level) 

Area: 30-ft.-radius spread

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: Reflex half 

Spell Resistance: Yes

An aera spell is the area of effect version of the aero spell. A blast of powerful winds explodes dealing 1d8 points of wind damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to every creature within the area. 

Slice

Elemental (Wind)

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels) 

Target: One creature

Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text

[font=Times New Roman]A piercing gust of wind flows through the target of this spell, slicing for 1d6 points of wind damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) and inflicts the Squalled status effect. A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by half and negates the status effect. If the target fails the initial saving throw, it gets another chance to save every round until the duration is ended.
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I feel like I'm missing something, but I just don't see how they are both 5th level spells. As is, the ara spells are comparable to the single targets, in fact, they are better in certain circumstances. So what am I missing?[/font]
(06-13-2017, 03:38 PM)timtheenchanter Wrote: Their are several single target level 5 black mage spells that seem very underwhelming. Burn, drown, freeze, slice, crush, and shock are single target variants of the aga spells, but the aga spells are better in almost every possible way. more damage, aoe (which is worse in certain circumstances, but mostly a huge plus), and range. The only thing the single targets seem to have are the mildly uncomfortable status effects they instill, and even then, the target gets a save every round to end it.

[font=Times New Roman]Aeroga
[/font]

Elemental (Wind)

Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level) 

Area: 30-ft.-radius spread

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: Reflex half 

An aera spell is the area of effect version of the aero spell. A blast of powerful winds explodes dealing 1d8 points of wind damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to every creature within the area. 

Slice

Elemental (Wind)

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels) 

Target: One creature

Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text

[font=Times New Roman]A piercing gust of wind flows through the target of this spell, slicing for 1d6 points of wind damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) and inflicts the Squalled status effect. A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by half and negates the status effect. If the target fails the initial saving throw, it gets another chance to save every round until the duration is ended.
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I feel like I'm missing something, but I just don't see how they are both 5th level spells. As is, the ara spells are comparable to the single targets, in fact, they are better in certain circumstances. So what am I missing?[/font]

Its damage per round. So a 10th level caster would be dealing 10d6 damage per round, with a chance to reduce damage by half each round.
Oooooooooooh... Thats much better.