Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fencer's Derring-Do
Hi guys, did try to post this the day the site went down, figured I might as well repost it, though no rush on this since I imagine things are a bit hectic at the moment.

Had a situation in a game I'm playing as a Fencer in a modern/sci-fi style ffd20 campaign where driving came up and some of the group pondered for a moment on whether it was meant to be a part of the Derring-Do list of skills, but potentially omitted by oversight since Drive/Pilot etc. might not have been normally assumed skills when Derring-Do was laid out (in fact, the group wondered if it should actually be on their class skill list too). Given that the above scenario was certainly an adrenaline-filled act of daring and flair, we thought it certainly seemed thematic at the very least - and the extra d6 might have been quite handy!

All in all, we decided at the time to rule no, since it wasn't called out in the list of applicable skills, and isn't a class skill for them, but at the same time, thought it might be a good idea to poke around and see if it was a case of intention or oversight - partly because the Fencer is one of the classes that doesn't even seem to have Favoured Class bonuses for any of the races, and so it seems like it might be a case of the class slipping through the cracks a bit.

Either way, just a little food for thought, and even if it wasn't the initial intention, perhaps it wouldn't necessarily be a bad inclusion?
(03-14-2017, 11:01 AM)Seraphina Wrote: Hi guys, did try to post this the day the site went down, figured I might as well repost it, though no rush on this since I imagine things are a bit hectic at the moment.

Had a situation in a game I'm playing as a Fencer in a modern/sci-fi style ffd20 campaign where driving came up and some of the group pondered for a moment on whether it was meant to be a part of the Derring-Do list of skills, but potentially omitted by oversight since Drive/Pilot etc. might not have been normally assumed skills when Derring-Do was laid out (in fact, the group wondered if it should actually be on their class skill list too). Given that the above scenario was certainly an adrenaline-filled act of daring and flair, we thought it certainly seemed thematic at the very least - and the extra d6 might have been quite handy!

All in all, we decided at the time to rule no, since it wasn't called out in the list of applicable skills, and isn't a class skill for them, but at the same time, thought it might be a good idea to poke around and see if it was a case of intention or oversight - partly because the Fencer is one of the classes that doesn't even seem to have Favoured Class bonuses for any of the races, and so it seems like it might be a case of the class slipping through the cracks a bit.

Either way, just a little food for thought, and even if it wasn't the initial intention, perhaps it wouldn't necessarily be a bad inclusion?

Maaaaybe if someone wants to do a Fencer archetype for it, it would fit better.
Hrm, okay. I might look into that later down the line! Can't for a little while yet, uni is keeping me pretty bogged down xD
(03-15-2017, 01:52 AM)Seraphina Wrote: Hrm, okay. I might look into that later down the line! Can't for a little while yet, uni is keeping me pretty bogged down xD

Uni? As in a unicorn?
Uni as in university, sorry. I'm doing a post-graduate honours project this year, so between advanced research classes and the project itself, there's a fair bit to do xD
(03-16-2017, 01:12 AM)Seraphina Wrote: Uni as in university, sorry. I'm doing a post-graduate honours project this year, so between advanced research classes and the project itself, there's a fair bit to do xD

I guess university makes more sense. Unicorn would have been hilarious though. Wink

Good luck on your project!
No doubt haha! More fun too, probably - university research is killing me slowly. xD Thanks though~
Guess I should do some work too, eh? Took a month off to recuperate.. andplayvideogames...
Eh, I still procrastinate a bunch and play lots of games - paper & pen as well as video games. xD