Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earthbound (Dark Knight/Holy Knight Archetype)
This is my first attempt at a Final Fantasy archetype so pardon me if I have underestimated certain abilities. Also help with wording, grammar (my greatest weakness), and overall balance would be appreciative.
===

Earthbound (Dark Knight/Holy Knight Archetype)

Its often though that all of those touched in divine power are ignorant of the world they inhabit; heads too far in the clouds (or in dark places) to pay heed of mortal affairs. Alas this is often more the case than many may realize, yet not all such beings are quite as distant to the world. There are those that lead lives of epic struggle of Good and Evil with more earthly grace and wisdom, and are perhaps more dangerous because of it.

These more levelheaded Knights are known as Earthbound, and while they are less mystical than their fellows, they make up for the lose of divine power with greater worldly know-how.

[As noted above this Archetype can be taken by both Dark Knights and Holy Knights in that, while they possess thematically different abilities, the levels they gain them at are exactly the same. So instead of make two archetypes of only minor differences I have fused them together here. Obviously they would need to be printed separately for the guide but for know, con~venience!]

Worldly Knowledge: With less empowerment form divine sources Earthbound must make their own way through the world by their own merit and ability. At 1st level and every Class level thereafter you gain 2 extra Skill Points that can only be spent on Wisdom- or Intelligence- Based skills and all Intelligence-based skill are now considered Class Skills for you.

This ability replaces Harm Touch or Lay of Hands (as appropriate).

From the Earth: Often overlooked are those whose talents lack the flash and flare of the more supernatural bent, yet these skill-sets have nonetheless gave rise to the foundation of legends and empires, something an Earthbound understands better than most.

At 3rd level and every 3 levels thereafter you may gain a Fighter Talent or Thief Talent, treating your effective level in both classes for the purpose of Talents as your Earthbound Class Level -2.

This ability replaces Defile or Blessing (as appropriate).

Boring Yet Practical: While the flash and flare may inspire or terrify the common man, the stronger foes will nary be impressed; at times like these it pays to have a solid foundation. An Earthbound at levels 3, 9, 12 and 15 may select any Combat feat that they meet the prerequisite for.

This ability replaces Shared Offense or Shared Defense (as appropriate).

Silence and the Fury: Just as the Knights of Darkness and Light stand opposed to one another so two are those that are fueled by Passion and Serenity. Those of Passion work themselves into a unstoppable fury becoming whirlwinds of action and energy. Those of Serenity center themselves into an unmovable pillar that weathers all storms with cool efficiency. The Unstoppable Force and the Unmovable Object, few battle are as epic as such.

At 9th level an Earthbound may select either the ability to Rage or to enter the Defensive Stance like a Beastmaster or Knight equal to half your Class level (rounded up). Once chosen it cannot be latter changed.

At 11th level and every two level thereafter you may replace an Aura ability instead with a Rage Power or Knight Talent (whichever was chosen) in its place. This is an optional choice.

This ability replaces Last Resort or Holy Shield (as appropriate) and MAY replace any and or all Auras.
I like it. Smile
*kneels* I am humbled by you praise O Merciful God of Magic. Big Grin

So are there any aspects in particular you like? Or think that may need more clarification?
I like it all, especially the balancing.
I personally don't think they should have the ability to take thief talents. They just don't fit well considering what most of the thief talents do. I think you could remove the thief talents and the -2 level penalty and just give them the fighter talents and it would be fine. I like the rage powers and knight stuff, it fits. Also i think the last ability should be called Silent Fury, or Silence and Fury. Just my 2 cents.
[Image: 21.jpg]
Ah well to noted of the Thief Talents, I would say that it would depend on how you see it. Many of the Thief Talents would be desirable for any character; for example a particularly social Knight (they are Charisma-based Classes after all) the Talents “Charmer”, “Coax Information“, “Hard to Fool“ , and “Honeyed Words definitely fit’s the image of Divine Knights that aren’t limited to answering every problem with their sword.

Others fit’s the more ‘survivalist’ aspect of the Earthbound in dealing with more mundane threats: Camouflage, Canny Observer, Expert Leaper (what would Final Fantasy be without impossible jumps and acrobatics?), Follow Clues, Guileful Polyglot, Hold Breath, Iron Guts and several others.

Then there is the Dark Knight Class itself which screams “underhanded opportunist” perhaps more-so than the Thief Class, and better still it has Sneak Attack which allows them to qualify for about 9 Talents the Holy Knight cannot (the joy of being Evil).

Really looking through all the Thief Talents most would seem more appropriate as more General Talents (baring those that rely on Sneak Attack that is) and only a few have themes that seem to say ‘thief”.

Of course Ones Mileage May Vary.

...Also thank you for pointing out that misspelling. That extra R is Heresy~!!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtMHa17kkv_gbMs7ce-8r...Vq_oR59CJG]
I'd agree. I think the theif talents are fine. Generally speaking FFd20 theives are pretty low on the whole "dishonestly" thing depending on how you look at them. a lot can be used for it. but a lot can be used in ways to support a more "grounded" religious person.
Well I haven't seen any other critique or questions, so am I to assume that these archetype(s) are solid?
I can't see anything obviously weird about it.
So I'd say they'd be a go.

Generally speaking Thinking can only problem solve so much. Playing tends to find the rest out.