Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magitek Questions and Conversions
Heavily considering pitching a Magitek Operator to one of my DMs and I think I might have a shot to play it.

In a previous campaign chapter I had a wizard who worked on a R&D project to make constructs, but they went berserk and the project was shut down. Now in the upcoming chapter one of the other workers found a way to make a suit similar to a construct but with him as the pilot.

My questions
1) Am I right in understanding that the Magitek only gets one attack with all weapons (notwithstanding Magitek Upgrade 2)
2) Can certain devices be crafted at the normal half-price as per the craft skill and any other related skills? (e.g. armor, weapons, and other equipment)
3) Could the Magitek be enchanted on top of Improved Magitek? Assumed no, could a spell effect increase it though?

The fun part, de-powering the Magitek and class to fit into a normal~ish fantasy setting.
1) The PS-15 PANTHER CLAWS seem fine to me, it's a great sword attack at 1x strength for two hits in a full-round.
2) I'm thinking about having the Jetpack be something like 30ft vertical, 45ft diagonal, and 60ft horizontal and having it land on ground after use; keeping the total range and fuel unchanged. The idea isn't about having flight, but rather a way to get up or over to somewhere with a heavy suit.
3) It currently has 31 AC- 12 Armor, 6 Shield, 1 Dodge, 3 Deflect, -1 Size. This feels a bit much, but a normal fighter at this level could have these same bonuses if he had similar gear (and someone to craft most of it) and a permanent enlarge.
4) What a normal fighter probably wouldn't have is 200+ hp at 11th. Currently the suit has 150 hp and the driver has about 86 assuming average. The kineticist that's coming in will have 201 hp. While it does seem like I have built the Magitek as a tank, an hp pool of 236 is stretching it. Maybe 75 base and 25 with Structural Enhancement would be the proper way to balance it. Granted I could also not take SE, but I don't like empty slots and it does add into cost.
5) No Limit Breaks because no one else has it, but some Engineer and Magitek Operator class abilities could probably be removed or reduced, though I'm at a loss for what could be considered too much.

Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Myth-Weavers link for anyone who want's to see what it currently looks like. The point buy is 25, 2 to STR from 4th and 8th, 2 skill ranks for background skills, headband went into UMD and gave Undercommon, Magitek info can be found on the last page in Additional Notes, and Average Wealth was assumed and a re-calculation of funds will be done once I decide to finalize everything else.
Moved to appropriate forum.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
Only issue I see so far is the mention of Enlarge, since at the base I don't think there's a spell that does that in FFd20. Further, if you were to use an item that recreated a PF spell, make sure it's something like 'Enlarge Monster' or 'Enlarge Construct' since 'Enlarge Person', the most common available size-increasing spell, won't affect your Magitek even if you are piloting it as it is not a person.
(01-30-2016, 03:44 PM)dairius_chi Wrote: Only issue I see so far is the mention of Enlarge, since at the base I don't think there's a spell that does that in FFd20. Further, if you were to use an item that recreated a PF spell, make sure it's something like 'Enlarge Monster' or 'Enlarge Construct' since 'Enlarge Person', the most common available size-increasing spell, won't affect your Magitek even if you are piloting it as it is not a person.

The Enlarge was used in an example for a fighter to get natural reach, large weapons, and a similar AC to a magitek with 31AC. The spells I was wondering about would be ones like Barkskin, Stoneskin, or Haste.
Though since you did mention it, someone could have confused magitek as armor for Enlarge.

(01-30-2016, 07:15 AM)Viladin Wrote: Moved to appropriate forum.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

Thanks, Viladin.