Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions needed: Status effects
(Each of these status effects increase in damage and difficulty for each spell with a numeric increase. IE, Fire II would be 2d6 fire damage per round.)

Earth: Weighted status effect: Rocks, dirt, and rubble adhere to the character, making it difficult to move. Characters that are inflicted with this status effect have their movement speed reduced by 5 feet. In addition, the character cannot run or charge. Water spells and effects can wash away the status effect. (Stone I: 5 feet, Stone II: 10 feet, Stone III: 15 feet)

Fire: Burning status effect: Fire engulfs the character's body, burning him. Characters that are inflicted with this status effect take 1d6 fire damage each round but are allowed a Reflex save (equal to spell DC) to avoid this fate. In each subsequent round, the burning character must make another Reflex saving throw. Failure means he takes another 1d6 points of fire damage that round. Success means that the fire has gone out. (That is, once he succeeds on his saving throw, he's no longer on fire.) A character on fire may, by spending 1 round, automatically extinguish the flames by jumping into enough water to douse himself. Water spells and effects also remove this status effect. If no body of water is at hand, by spending 1 round, rolling on the ground or smothering the fire with cloaks or the like permits the character another save with a +4 bonus. (Fire I: 1d6, Fire II: 2d6, Fire III: 3d6)

Ice: Frozen status effect: Ice forms upon the character's legs, freezing him to the spot. Characters that are inflicted with this status effect are frozen to the spot, unable to take a move action. They can, however, break loose by spending 1 round and making a DC 10 Strength check or a DC 15 Escape Artist check. Any fire spells and effects that deal fire damage can melt the ice and remove the status effect. (Blizzard I: DC 10/DC 15, Blizzard II: DC 15/DC 20, Blizzard III: DC 20/DC 25)

Lightning: Static status effect: A static charge runs through the character, making him an excellent conductor for lightning energy. Characters that are inflicted with this status effect receives a jolt (deals 1d6 points of lightning damage) anytime the creature touches metal objects, spends a move action while in metal armor, or spends a standard action to swing a metal weapon. This effect happens lasts for 1 round and then discharges. (Thunder I: 1d6, Thunder II: 2d6, Thunder III: 3d6)

Water: Drenched status effect: Water drenches the character's body, soaking the clothing, increasing the weight of the items. Characters that are inflicted with this status effect have their carrying weight increased by 10 lbs. In addition, while under this status effect, any lightning spells and effects inflict an additional 1d6 points of lightning damage. However, any fire spells and effects that deal fire damage removes the status effect. By spending 1 round, the character can also remove the wet clothing as well to remove the status effect. (Water I: 10 lbs/1d6, Water II: 20 lbs/2d6, Water III: 30 lbs/3d6)

Wind: Squalled status effect: Wind surrounds the character's body, making it difficult to concentrate and to make ranged weapon attack rolls. Characters that are inflicted with this status effect suffer a -2 penalty to Concentration checks and -1 penalty to ranged weapon attack rolls. This effect lasts for 1 round and then the wind dies down. (Aero I: -2/-1, Aero II: -3/-2, Aero III: -4/-3)

Dark: Dimmed status effect: A dark mask surrounds the character's face, making it difficult to see clearly. Characters that are inflicted with this status effect suffer a -1 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Perception checks to spot) suffer 10% fail chance. All opponents are considered to have partial concealment (10% miss chance) to the character. Light spells and effects remove this status effect. (Dark I: -1/10%/10%, Dark II: -2/20%/20%, Dark III: -3/30%/30%)

Light: Dazzled status effect: A bright flash of light causes the character to be slightly dizzy. Characters that are inflicted with this status effect suffer -1 penalty on attack rolls, Search checks, and Perception checks to see. Dark spells and effects remove this status effect. (Light I: -1, Light II: -2, Light III: -3)
Neat.

Burning: What kind of action is rolling on the ground (or smothering the fire) to put it out?
Drenched: Same thing, action to remove clothing?

Ice is probably the strongest. Fire and Dark are probably second, Water and Earth third, and Lightning, Light and Wind come in last (I think). Lightning is a bit weird. Does it hurt you every time you take a move action? I'd beef up the damage a bit (2d6/4d6/6d6) since it only lasts one round. And maybe say that it triggers from all move/standard actions. With those changes, it would probably be the same as Water and Earth
(10-31-2012, 06:45 PM)Nihilarian Wrote: Neat.

Burning: What kind of action is rolling on the ground (or smothering the fire) to put it out?
Drenched: Same thing, action to remove clothing?

Ice is probably the strongest. Fire and Dark are probably second, Water and Earth third, and Lightning, Light and Wind come in last (I think). Lightning is a bit weird. Does it hurt you every time you take a move action? I'd beef up the damage a bit (2d6/4d6/6d6) since it only lasts one round. And maybe say that it triggers from all move/standard actions. With those changes, it would probably be the same as Water and Earth

Full round action for both.

It hurts every time you move, swing a weapon, touch a metal object. So effectively, you could take 1d6-3d6 lightning damage for the round.
can you trigger it multiple times a round?
Yes.
That's probably ok then. Good against warriors.
Maybe require a feat to unlock these abilities? Starting with them raw at level 1 seems really strong. Also some don't make sense, because in 6 seconds its over, so it seems like some may need a concentration check (possibly using a move action) to maintain the effect. I love the idea of them though, would definitely be cool

Just seems a tad strong for level 1, but i like the idea.

Just my thoughts Smile
Have to say I enjoy these. Nice array and they fit nicely with the element. Can't wait for you to implement it into the book. Using it for both campaigns and a homemade Tactical/RPG board game.
Spell List done: http://finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/FFd20_S...ptions.pdf

Just a sidenote, due to lots of spells being lowered on spell level requirements and damage increasing, Blue Mage spells may be lacking until I make more monsters.

And, need to update the spell lists.
(11-01-2012, 12:57 PM)Viladin Wrote: Just a sidenote, due to lots of spells being lowered on spell level requirements and damage increasing, Blue Mage spells may be lacking until I make more monsters.
The reward for hard work is more hard work.

Aera: Does it cause the Squalled status effect? It says it's a larger version of Aero...
Aeroga: Same as before.
(11-01-2012, 01:48 PM)Nihilarian Wrote:
(11-01-2012, 12:57 PM)Viladin Wrote: Just a sidenote, due to lots of spells being lowered on spell level requirements and damage increasing, Blue Mage spells may be lacking until I make more monsters.
The reward for hard work is more hard work.

Aera: Does it cause the Squalled status effect? It says it's a larger version of Aero...
Aeroga: Same as before.

It makes me cry.

None of the lvl 3-5 aoe spells inflict the status effects.

Ill have to change the description
The big spell list was updated again, move spells around, edit ones per suggestions.

And the black mage spell list is finally done.

http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/Bla...l_List.pdf
White Mage Spell List updated: http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/Whi...l_List.pdf

Added a couple of new spells and moved spells around again.

Will work on Necromancer and Red Mage spell list next. Exhausted! :p
Necromancer spell list done. http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/Nec...l_List.pdf

Next is Red Mage and Blue Mage.
Red Mage and Blue Mage spell list finished. Will need to edit the Monster Compendium though (sigh).

http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/Red...l_List.pdf
http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/Blu...l_List.pdf

New Blue Mage feat:

Azure Knowledge [Metamagic]
Prerequisites: Blue Mage level 5th.
Benefit: Add to your spells known one additional blue magic spell of any level up to one level lower than the highest-level spell you can cast. For example, an 8th-level blue mage gains either a new 1st, 2nd, or 3rd-level blue magic spell.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, you learn one new blue magic spell at any level up to one less than the highest-level spell you can cast.

Heading to bed, got work in 6 hours.