Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Mage spells for regular Pathfinder?
I don't know if anyone has raised this up, but has anyone converted the supernatural and spell-like abilities in standard Pathfinder into Blue Mage spells?

I've been spending the past few days collecting them, (my screenshots folder is massive now) but i don't want to do all the work if someone else has. If they haven't, i may resort to this thread for help determining what level spell each one is.
(07-12-2015, 09:54 AM)PocketsMeow Wrote: I don't know if anyone has raised this up, but has anyone converted the supernatural and spell-like abilities in standard Pathfinder into Blue Mage spells?

I've been spending the past few days collecting them, (my screenshots folder is massive now) but i don't want to do all the work if someone else has. If they haven't, i may resort to this thread for help determining what level spell each one is.

I have did some. But not all.
Well, when i get done, i'll post it up for ya to critique. It is by no means entirely complete, as i...slightly pick and chose what monsters i wanted their abilities. BUT, it would be at least 90% of the creatures. I am unsure how to handle when two monsters have the same exact ability, but one is stronger? In the case of Yeth Hound and Shadow Mastiff in particular at he moment, along with multiple multiple multiple incarnations of breath attacks.
(07-13-2015, 09:15 AM)PocketsMeow Wrote: Well, when i get done, i'll post it up for ya to critique. It is by no means entirely complete, as i...slightly pick and chose what monsters i wanted their abilities. BUT, it would be at least 90% of the creatures. I am unsure how to handle when two monsters have the same exact ability, but one is stronger? In the case of Yeth Hound and Shadow Mastiff in particular at he moment, along with multiple multiple multiple incarnations of breath attacks.

The best way to deal with it would be to grant the Blue Mage the same spell, regardless of how weaker/stronger of different monsters. That way, a blue mage can get access to spells from different creatures, increasing their chances of getting a spell.
Do you take the average then? Because the yeth hound paralyzes for 2d6 rounds, Shadow Mastiff only 1d6 rounds. Also, if five different creatures each have a breath attack that deals fire, do you take tge average and apply that to the single spell each of them would teach?
I would maybe just give the blue mage the base damage/stats for the spell. Then either make an option where if they gain it multiple times it increases...or they can do empower-type options to raise the damage.
You may also see if there is some math that makes sense when applied. Blue Magic (there are exceptions) tends to be more static in the spells- 4d8, 15d4, etc. vs other casting classes which are 1d6/level, that doesn't mean Blue Magic couldn't have the odd spell that DOES scale that way (which is probably how I would address an SU breath weapon).

My main character is a blue mage- I would be interested in what you have thus far Smile I find that when I fight against monsters I can learn something from I fight pretty passively and try (I try SO hard!) to get them to use their powers but when I fight humans (or monster I have already learned the abilities from) I come out with all sorts of party buffs and enemy enfeeblements (a VERY enfeeble-y spell list)
Yeah, i figured i would keep it static, and do the exact effect that the monster creates. So far I've just been jotting down the notes so that i have them localized. Mostly, fear effects and stunning effects, really, and the odd special ability like Teleport Burst. Therr are several that create a, "Victim makes all attempts to travel to caster, at the expense of even defending itself. Any perilous act, or being attacked by the caster allows a second save." But they're typically all different. Corpse Call affects all living creatures within 100 feet and takes a standard action to maintain, while Captivating Cloud is a 60ft spread that lasts for 5 rounds, any creature ebtering or beginning it's turn must save or fall prey.
It could get a bit messy, but... in PF there are spells like 'Form of the Dragon I/II/III', and other tiered Polymorph-esque spells. There's also the Lesser/-/Greater versions of some spells like Restoration...

So having different versions of the same 'spell' with different dice amounts and spell levels isn't outrageous... it'd just create a LOT of extra bookwork for the GM.
Best of luck to you Smile I look forward to seeing your finished product though Smile
I will probably just make a blanket-all Captivate spell, or something.
Sorry guys. Life got hectic. But if anyone decides to pick it up, i have lots of information i can slide them.