Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Mage spell learning
I was updating my Blue Mage (I was still using the Beast Lore method) and I noticed something that I had a question about.

When it comes to learning Blue magic each creature has a specific knowledge necessary (Arcana for Dragons, Local for Humans, etc.) and Blue Mages are restricted from buying scrolls but can learn magic from other Blue Mages.

So when that process happens: is it automatic? or (more likely) does it require a knowledge check? and if it DOES require a knowledge check do you use the skill associated with the original creature or the creature you are learning from?

Example: I fought with a ghost and learned Ectosmash via my Know Religion skill, but the stupid thing NEVER used (nor was I able to compel it to use) its Curse ability (which I REALLY wanted!!!) So after we finish raiding the treasure I have a nice little nest egg of money and decide I want to learn the Ghost Curse ability from the local Mandragora blue mage who is known to TOTALLY rock at kicking Ghost butt and has fought them off for years! He charges the "Spellcaster fee" (or maybe trades me for my AWESOME White Wind power- whatever) and know... Do I make a Knowledge Religion check? Or do I make a knowledge Nature or Local (Mandragora count for BOTH! how cool is that!)

Assuming I use the Mandragora as the casting creature- use the same example above- Could I make both a Know Nature AND Knowledge Local and take the better one? Or am I limited to a single knowledge check per casting (I am pretty sure the latter makes more sense but Knowledge checks are generally a free action and maybe where the understanding of people fails you are like 'Oh no, plants would do it like this! Huzzah!')
Another question: When it comes to the "Invoke" power. Assuming it works (all my enemies seem to make their saves Sad ) how does the creature use the power? The creature chooses a target or puts the blast where it wants it? And how does action economy work with that? Do they use the power on their next turn or is it immediate? And what about something like Adamantoise using Turtle Shell while being above 1/2 health?
(08-19-2015, 11:26 AM)Whats in the box? Wrote: I was updating my Blue Mage (I was still using the Beast Lore method) and I noticed something that I had a question about.

When it comes to learning Blue magic each creature has a specific knowledge necessary (Arcana for Dragons, Local for Humans, etc.) and Blue Mages are restricted from buying scrolls but can learn magic from other Blue Mages.

So when that process happens: is it automatic? or (more likely) does it require a knowledge check? and if it DOES require a knowledge check do you use the skill associated with the original creature or the creature you are learning from?

Example: I fought with a ghost and learned Ectosmash via my Know Religion skill, but the stupid thing NEVER used (nor was I able to compel it to use) its Curse ability (which I REALLY wanted!!!) So after we finish raiding the treasure I have a nice little nest egg of money and decide I want to learn the Ghost Curse ability from the local Mandragora blue mage who is known to TOTALLY rock at kicking Ghost butt and has fought them off for years! He charges the "Spellcaster fee" (or maybe trades me for my AWESOME White Wind power- whatever) and know... Do I make a Knowledge Religion check? Or do I make a knowledge Nature or Local (Mandragora count for BOTH! how cool is that!)

Assuming I use the Mandragora as the casting creature- use the same example above- Could I make both a Know Nature AND Knowledge Local and take the better one? Or am I limited to a single knowledge check per casting (I am pretty sure the latter makes more sense but Knowledge checks are generally a free action and maybe where the understanding of people fails you are like 'Oh no, plants would do it like this! Huzzah!')

You would make the Knowledge Religion check as per normal. But there's no limit on how many times you can do it since you will be learning from a fellow blue mage. Just time and possibly money if he charges you every time you fail to learn.

(08-19-2015, 11:54 AM)Whats in the box? Wrote: Another question: When it comes to the "Invoke" power. Assuming it works (all my enemies seem to make their saves Sad ) how does the creature use the power? The creature chooses a target or puts the blast where it wants it? And how does action economy work with that? Do they use the power on their next turn or is it immediate? And what about something like Adamantoise using Turtle Shell while being above 1/2 health?

They use the power on their turn. They can use it however they want, though.
AWESOME! Thank you Creator
You could always go to a colliseum type area and hang out. I have a blue mage to lives in one.