Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What grinds your gears?-Pathfinder Edition
I, for one, have found Pathfinder to be a much better version of the old 3.5 D&D. But, saying that, I do have some things that I nitpick at. My biggest is feats.

There are hundreds of them, but I feel like some are worthless, or just don't scale enough to justify a feat slot. Off the top of my head, I can think of "Arcane Strike" (Up to +5dmg at level 20 for a feat ,ew), "Human Spirit" (have to be Half Elf and use your first feat for a measly +1 skill points, to a max of 4), "Extra (Grit,Ki, and etc...)" (A +2 to that pool doesn't go as far as I feel a feat is worth), "Arcane Armor Proficiency (Any)" (having to use a swift action to reduce the chance of spell failure? No thanks, I like FFd20's much better).

Anyone else have anything that grinds their gears?
the feat: Divine Protection... I hate it. It is ONLY good for Oracles, and they already have PLENTY going for them. Annoying! UGH!

Also- Rusty clockworks... they ALWAYS grind my gears!
(08-03-2015, 08:31 AM)Whats in the box? Wrote: the feat: Divine Protection... I hate it. It is ONLY good for Oracles, and they already have PLENTY going for them. Annoying! UGH!

Also- Rusty clockworks... they ALWAYS grind my gears!

I guess you've not seen the latest errata for it. It's become a once per day add Cha mod to a saving throw before you know the result, and requires 5 ranks in Religion and Cha 13. Better off dipping paladin or using the +2 feats instead.
(08-03-2015, 08:31 AM)Whats in the box? Wrote: Also- Rusty clockworks... they ALWAYS grind my gears!

Oh, I like you! You're punny!

The whole Oracle class. It just looks at the divine casters and says "Anything you can do, I can become a god at".

Friend of a relative did this: Play gestalt game, be Oracle, ask just for another mystery tree instead of class, choose Lame curse, wreck face to level 20 because of choosing Lore (a wizard, with armor bonuses) and Metal (become fighter, but better, and get 3 feats free), party wipes because of bad rolls, everyone has to make new characters, but wait...he was Enlightened Philosopher archetype, revives after 3 days, new body, no more Lame, has an AC of 35 in full plate thanks to adding his Cha to it and the armor gets +7 from the Metal mystery with no enhancement or buff, speed of 40ft, almost full BAB of a fighter (not counting the +'s to attack bonus if he makes the weapon or has an enhanced one), can't be fatigued or exhausted, take 20 on knowledge checks that are also now based on charisma, can cast up to an 8th level wizard/sorc spell (not counting his free Wish a day), and is just a better cleric.
(08-04-2015, 04:26 AM)Dhoulmaug Wrote: I guess you've not seen the latest errata for it. It's become a once per day add Cha mod to a saving throw before you know the result, and requires 5 ranks in Religion and Cha 13. Better off dipping paladin or using the +2 feats instead.

This makes me SO happy Smile SO SO SO SO HAPPY!!!
(08-04-2015, 05:24 AM)Archmagel Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 08:31 AM)Whats in the box? Wrote: Also- Rusty clockworks... they ALWAYS grind my gears!

Oh, I like you! You're punny!

The whole Oracle class. It just looks at the divine casters and says "Anything you can do, I can become a god at".

Friend of a relative did this: Play gestalt game, be Oracle, ask just for another mystery tree instead of class, choose Lame curse, wreck face to level 20 because of choosing Lore (a wizard, with armor bonuses) and Metal (become fighter, but better, and get 3 feats free), party wipes because of bad rolls, everyone has to make new characters, but wait...he was Enlightened Philosopher archetype, revives after 3 days, new body, no more Lame, has an AC of 35 in full plate thanks to adding his Cha to it and the armor gets +7 from the Metal mystery with no enhancement or buff, speed of 40ft, almost full BAB of a fighter (not counting the +'s to attack bonus if he makes the weapon or has an enhanced one), can't be fatigued or exhausted, take 20 on knowledge checks that are also now based on charisma, can cast up to an 8th level wizard/sorc spell (not counting his free Wish a day), and is just a better cleric.

I agree! I just wasn't sure that was a sentiment that was shared by others. I REALLY like the Oracle class in the way that it complexly weaves penalty and benefits but... One of our party members always makes this insane GOD oracle and I am like: Man... your role is stepping on toes!

Though without that Divine Protection feat... HA! Good luck with your saves! MUAHAHAHAHA! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!...

Lets see... other things that grind gears. Poison rules... it seems like this very intricately developed system that no one uses because it DOESN'T WORK! All poisons have pathetic DCs and the method of enhancing those DCs means that the ONLY thing your character knows how to do is use poison... which is a VERY peculiar specialty that is hard to RP in a cooperative way:

"Man, I am really having trouble sleeping."
Witch: "I could hex you with slumber?"
Cleric: "I could pray with you until divine rest unfolds?"
Poisoner: "I could stab you with my Drow Poison laced knife."
"Wouldn't that like... REALLY hurt?"
Poisoner: "Oh... yeah... absolutely but you will be 'asleep'"
"I question why you said 'asleep' instead of asleep?"
Poisoner: "Well... it isn't sleep so much as a short term coma."
"I am gonna try that witch thing, and hope tomorrow you have something nicer to add to party problem solving."
(08-04-2015, 09:35 AM)Whats in the box? Wrote: Lets see... other things that grind gears. Poison rules... it seems like this very intricately developed system that no one uses because it DOESN'T WORK! All poisons have pathetic DCs and the method of enhancing those DCs means that the ONLY thing your character knows how to do is use poison... which is a VERY peculiar specialty that is hard to RP in a cooperative way:

Intricately? It's incomplete and lacks customization for the PCs who want to use Craft (Alchemy) to make their own. For PCs I usually let them use http://davidvs.net/hobbies/pathfinder-poisons.shtml rules for poisons and I usually simplify monster poisons to either paralytic or Damage Over Time.

What's scarier to a group of 1st levels, 1 STR damage or 2d6 poison?
idk... at level one ability damage can be pretty bad. And idk HOW many parties I have been in where the "healer" lacked the ability to fix ability damage. That can be frustrating too- Healing pretty much means you have the HP covered (which ALL secondary healers have) but it also has to cover status ailments, deal, and ability damage (which are usually relegated to the Cleric/Paladin roles)... So put that down on the gears grinded! I want different types of healers! Not everyone needs to pray to Blablabla in order to fix poison/petrification/death!

FF does have pathfinder beat on that front. MEDICS! HUZZAH!

When I said intricately before I was referring to the presents of a vast variety of poison types, specific poisons of each type, varied costs associated with them and additional support in the form of feats/traits that indicate: "Poisons! We planned on this being a thing!" So that seems like an intricate system as opposed to: The rules for binding outsiders OR words of power- which were more like: "Hey guys wouldn't this be cool? Yeah! Ok, well here are some... you know... whatever... it's like there if you want it. We aren't going to expand on this a whole lot."
(08-05-2015, 08:19 AM)Whats in the box? Wrote: idk... at level one ability damage can be pretty bad. And idk HOW many parties I have been in where the "healer" lacked the ability to fix ability damage.

Hnnng! That would drive me insane (coming from a Scholar/Mystic Theurge)! My GM hasn't done ability damage much (I think he did it once, WAY back when), but I believe that any healer should be prepared for status effects of all types. If they don't see it as much of a problem (GM not doing it, or something) then I can understand, but they should at least have a few scrolls just in case. Hell, I would recommend anyone with a UMD to have one in case healer is hit with a debilitating one.