Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miscellaneous Questions/comments
I dont want to keep making new threads, so here's a few.

1) How do you all handle the cosmology in your games? I personally play that each game represents a planet in a solar system, with Gaia 1, Gaia 2, etc representing the appropriately numbered game. I've noticed that there isn't much in the way of planar travel, so I've ruled that in my games, no one ever really developed it, so the barrier between that area of the universe has a stronger barrier between it and The Weave, (creating the difference in the magic systems) and is mostly locked away from planets such as Golarion, Faerun, Greyhawk, Eberron, etc. People on those planets can't travel to the Gaias because they don't know they exist. BUT, the lovely spell X-Zone plane shifts the victim to random planets and planes. So, once they find a way back, it opens a sort of bridge. The more people play as wayward characters, the easier it will be to incorporate it further. I currently have a Qu Blue Mage that such events happened b leaving him stranded in Rise of The Runelords. But once he eats a monster with planar capabilities, she will be able to return.

2) Materia. Does anyone have homerules for applying more than one materia to weapons and armor? Maybe a special ability, ranging from a +1 to +5, allowing for the same number of extra materia to be junctioned? And would it be a cheap manner to just throw each different one on a separate shuriken, and throw them each once in battle?

3) Magitek. How does one improve their maneuverability to Perfect? Would the feat, Improved Maneuverability from Draconomicon be able to be applied? And could a SOLDIER/Magitek Pilot be able to channel his SOLDIER Techs through the mech? Would the armor impede spell casting? Can i junction materia to the armors and weapons of the Mech?

4) Balance. Has anyone used FFD20 classes in predominantly Pathfinder games? How do the classes compare to their counterparts in play?

5) Mythic. Does Vil have plans to make specific rules for mythic? I think materia and magitek open up a lot of potential for new abilities.

6) Skills. Is there anywhere a collectuon of all the skills thay FFD20 utilizes that Pathfinder does not?

7) Pdf's. I think that a new pdf including all Magitek, Engineer, Al Bhed, Shindroid, and other machine-based rules that arent incuded in the primary book would be a neat idea. Sort of like a machine-based expansion book.

8) The Forums. First of all, this is remarkable. All of the work that you guys have put into this is astounding, and i'm really happy to be part of it.

9) Open Games? I dont have skype, and can pretty much only do play by post, but i would love to run/join a game if there are any open, or a small group that would be interested in an idea. I really want a FF6 Magitek-based game, or a Turks based game off the top of my head.
Also, if anyone would like to be my facebook friend, it's Pockets Moreau
10) Engineer. Primal Technomancy states that the engineer may add a 10 to the DC of Use Magic Device checks, in order to not consume a charge of the item. Failure indicates that he uses the item, but still uses a charge. Does this mean that Primal Technomancy means thatan engineer now never risks failure to activate a magic item?
1: Skipping this one, I don't really run games often and it varies dependent on my mood or inspiration when I do.

2: There used to be rules allowing multiple Materia in a single item, depending on its size, the category of armor, etc... this was proven to be much too powerful overall. If you're deadset on allowing it in your games, just find what looks good to you- these do ultimately function much differently than they did in FF7 so we shouldn't be going around toting as many of them.

3: If the GM allows feats to do such a thing, then yes that could work... but Magitek are large and often clunky. Short of unique boss enemies giving them Perfect Maneuverability, something typically reserved for small things like Fairies, is likely not a good idea.

4: I heard of someone using a Black Mage(with FFd20 spells) in a PF group, and it working out alright. On a class-to-class basis though the FFd20 counterparts are muuuuch stronger than the PF inspirations, since many of our classes are basically just Core/base classes plus several key abilities from some archetypes, and Limit Breaks. I'd use caution when combining the two, PF is the base system but FFd20 has gone far beyond it.

5: I think this has come up before, and as Mythic is completely broken for the time being, there were no plans I'd heard of with making FFd20 Mythic.

6: http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/skills.html
This should contain all the 'new' skills, and the existing ones with altered uses such as UMD and Spellcraft.

7: There was originally a plan to make a Tech pdf actually, but the separate pdfs on the site are just easier for Vil to manage rather than making more giant books. Editing and revising the mainfile is something of a dread for him at times >.>

8: Thank ya vurry much. Not that I've done that much, I just answer occasional questions and yell at Vil when he's being a big dumb dumb.

9: I don't know of many ongoing ones, rpol and myth-weavers have had them from time to time but they rarely pan out... a curse of the pbp format. If you were to run one on rpol I'd be up for joining, always loved Magitek so I could have ideas.

10: "If he fails this check the charge or scroll is expended as if he failed to activate the item. If he succeeds the scroll or wand is used but is not expended."

So you increase the standard DC by 10, if you succeed? The charge isn't spent, it's like a free Materia/Scroll/Wand use. If you fail the increased DC, even if you would have beaten beaten the original DC, the charge is consumed and nothing happens. '...expended as if he failed to activate the item.' Being the key phrase here, since if you fail the attempt is wasted and the charge is lost.
I only have an answer for #2, we made it a +2 enhancement cost.

We have also talked about items that grant an AC bonus as being able to hold material also (like bracers of armor and robes of archmagic, corset of dire witchcraft, etc.) When we started with FFd20 there was "cloth" armor- basically a t-shirt mages could wear and enhance like armor and it could hold material. But that category has since been discontinued so it left some of our caster's a little miffed.

The enhancement cost hasn't been too game-breaky so far. Though I paired it with a Golden Amulet so... I will probably be what causes it to be ruled out.

It might be interesting to create some homemade items and ONLY have multi material slots available in found loot. Then you could control it. OR have certain items with permanent material slotted in them. That might be a way of correcting. Like a Sword with a material slot AND a permanent Fly material slotted to it.
I also have a player who wants me to run a Turks based game. Though im currently working on Children atm. It would be months before i did it assuming i did it. I'll try to let you know if i begin it. Which is highly unlikely. I have other desires to run after CoH.
(07-17-2015, 07:32 PM)dairius_chi Wrote: 7: There was originally a plan to make a Tech pdf actually, but the separate pdfs on the site are just easier for Vil to manage rather than making more giant books. Editing and revising the mainfile is something of a dread for him at times >.>

THIS! Lol. Thought, I do have plans for an entire Tech book, just that its on a backburner currrently. I still need to get Airships worked in and possibly rework some Magitek mechanics.

(07-17-2015, 07:32 PM)dairius_chi Wrote: 8: Thank ya vurry much. Not that I've done that much, I just answer occasional questions and yell at Vil when he's being a big dumb dumb.

Hate.