Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Permanency
As a spell it seems to be pretty broad. I have an Arithmetician (from Scholar/Time Mage) that has access to this spell and I am wondering the limitations of it.

Spell description for reference:

This spell makes the duration of other spells permanent. You first cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell. Depending on the spell, you must be of a minimum caster level to cast the spell and must expend a specific gil value (2,000 gil x spell level) of diamond dust as a material component. Permanency can only be dispelled only by a caster of higher level than you were when you cast the spell.

So if I wanted to cast all the +6 ability score spells (like Mithra's Grace) that would be 8,000 gil per spell? Or 48000 gil. This is substantially less expensive that purchasing the corresponding magic items. I am not sure if that is by design (since it seems like few casters would specialize in White/Time magic) or if there is a limitation I am not aware of?

Any thoughts on this for the GMs out there? Any thoughts from the players?
---
The original concept of my character was not meant to exploit this power (mostly I was trying to boost my Initiative score- which is a lovely 27+ at level 16) but the character is written with a "munchkin" background and would TOTALLY exploit this given half an opportunity. I actually regret bringing this to my GMs attention since it seems likely he will reduce the effectiveness of it.
Seems pretty straightforward. The examples given would be allowed, but an area dispel or antimagic field would wreak havoc on you.
But always remember. Anything you can do, the DM can and should do better Wink
As Pocket said, yes this is allowed- but unlike magic items these effects can be permanently shut down by the right foes, and then you lose out on the money rather than simply having them lose functionality for a time.

And just as an added specification since it wasn't mentioned, remember the Stat boosting spells are Enhancement bonuses, and don't stack with any other Enhancement bonuses... there have been issues with players missing that in the past >.>

This version of Permanency is ultimately much better than the PF version, and as such any GM should be wary about what they allow. Allowing anything, but then throwing dispellers at the party is a bad way to go about it... if you let them have a broken toy, let them play with it, or don't allow it in the first place.
Antimagic just suppresses it right? Wouldn't it start up again after you leave?

I did read the bit about dispel magic and was a little leery about the dispel part of it, but I think that there is a justifiable risk there. I (or Gertrude rather) get some pretty substantial buffs to Dispel attempts. And the party I am in shut down Seymore SUPER easy so I am ALL for the D/GM using this same trick.

Oddly with RAW this spell is kinda useless for a Time Mage- How does this interact with things that have a duration that are exhausted when used? (Like Vanish or Second Chance)- Seems like Vanish would be a permanent invisibility until you attack someone and then it is gone? Same with 2nd Chance after reroll the spell is over? Time Magic spells don't seem very well built for Permanency effects... is that just me?
Yes, Antimagic would simply suppress it- it'd start back up once you leave.

And yes, spells that are discharged do not re-activate once expended. This is true if you use Extend or Prolong Spell on them as well, they get X uses and then you're done. It's why the base Permanency is much more limited in what it allows, sort of painting a picture for the GM on what can and can't work.