Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salvaging with the Engineer
Should I share the Gil acquired when using the Salvage skill with the Engineer class? My party thinks it should be split equally since they are waiting for me to salvage and *guarding* me while salvaging. But since it is a class ability should I be sharing 100% or give them a portion of what I make? What percentage of the loot would you think it fair? I know it is ultimately my decision but just asking some non-biased people for their thoughts on this. Attached is a chart so you can see the Salvage DCs and gil obtained. Keep in mind I am level 3 and have invested quite a few ranks in perception just to make these DCs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-13-2015, 09:43 AM)Kelindal Wrote: Should I share the Gil acquired when using the Salvage skill with the Engineer class? My party thinks it should be split equally since they are waiting for me to salvage and *guarding* me while salvaging. But since it is a class ability should I be sharing 100% or give them a portion of what I make? What percentage of the loot would you think it fair? I know it is ultimately my decision but just asking some non-biased people for their thoughts on this. Attached is a chart so you can see the Salvage DCs and gil obtained. Keep in mind I am level 3 and have invested quite a few ranks in perception just to make these DCs.

I think you should share ONLY if they were guarding you. If you did this on your own, moneys yours.
Sharing seems reasonable, though if you had plans to craft stuff like robots which would aid the entire party you could make such arguments. I always assumed the Gil from Salvage was only good for crafting anyways... breaking apart stuff to make more stuff. Seems I was mistaken.
Ultimately, what would your character do is what i would say.
do what your char would do

but if I shared. I would share 25% myself; more if actual issues arise as a direct result.The main reasson being avoiding hhaviing tenns of thousands more than others in late game sorta stuff.(and rarrely will people accept thaat your getting thingns due to your class andd they shoudlnt' get some for helping the fight portion). Primarily because its your class skill and somethign they woudlnt be able to do otherwise. Its not like any of them could do anything. So getting 25% of what you make honestly is more than what they would've had otherwise.
"waiting and guarding" is something parties usually do anyway. Whether it would be you breaking something down. Or a knight visiting his family.
Its sorta common courtesy in a group.

More so if you are intending on crafting things for the group later. (since engineer gets some tasty bonuses)
if it becomes a "group gets annoyyed at you" because of it situation then reserve it for "crafting" pool only. Your salvaging spar parts, that happen to have a gil value. You'd just be pocking wires, engine parts etc.

Now there is the danger of your wealth going over and making things harder but I doubt that you get enough often enough, if your gm is keeping an eye on things and how often things are "totally destroyed"
---

Another example.. Its not entirely different from stopping and waiting for someone to craft alchemical items, or a weapon. (except your gaining money I suppose).
or waiting for someone to reacquire a familiar. or study spells in the morning (granted different game)
I agree with the: Do what your character would do.

Though I think you could post this question in MANY different ways with different classes and see how the party feels. Should you share the loot if:

The bard "charms" a prince and "convinces" him to allow the bard to "borrow" the crown jewels.

The thief picks the lock/disarms the magically trapped treasure chest and reveals a small fortune.

The white mage heals the lord of the province of a terminal illness and is bequeathed with riches.

The summoner trips over her Avatar, falls down a hill bumping into a tree with a secret switch that is triggered and reveals a cache of legendary material.

In each example you have a class using their class features to do something that (other party members might be able to do- but probably not as well/expediently/to as great an effect) nets a reward. Should they split that with the other party members? Idk... The thief probably wouldn't share, the white mage probably would, the summoner isn't sure why everyone is fighting over shiny rocks, and the bard has no idea what you are talking about he always had that crown and scepter (and you believe him!)... but those are just the tropes.

If you were banging on some broken down machinery while the fighter was getting eating by an ooze in order to allow you to bang on machinery... Idk... Seems like at the LEAST you owe him security pay.