Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shinobi- Ninja Archetype
So this was something i had planned a little while back but wasn't high on my list. Decided to do it for my game for a cohort and since ive been play ARR again i had inspiration to do it. Also since their is no Hybrid archetypes yet i thought itd be neat. After this ima do some work on Azure Dragoon but probably not until tm. Anyways: Shinobi!

The class itself is based MAINLY around the Ninja from ARR. Just may replace Ninjutsu with Mudra Ninjutsu thats do elemental stuffs. With Perform Checks of course. The Limit Break is the only thing not taken from it. Stole it from Yuffie. the thing i was gonna use from the class is useless for the 1st two levels how i thought it should work and said fuck it.

Update: 6/20/15: Added a list that replaces the throwing part of the ninja trick list, that has more to do with dual wielding. Also changed LB to the LB3 like version of the Ninja in 14, so it feels more right.

Attached Files
.pdf   Shinobi V.2.pdf (Size: 66.13 KB / Downloads: 20)
I think greased lightning's name should be changed considering that in ARR greased lightning is a pugilist buff. Maybe change it to Viper's Kiss? I like the skills and such overall though.
(06-19-2015, 02:17 PM)Luphey Wrote: I think greased lightning's name should be changed considering that in ARR greased lightning is a pugilist buff. Maybe change it to Viper's Kiss? I like the skills and such overall though.

Yeah. I wanted it to be Kasstsu (however you spell it) but it seemingly would would with the mudra stuff which you would t even have first two levels. I need to fix some errors to it and may change the lb anyways
I feel it may be op. Haven't decided yet ttho. I also may make two weapon replace something as this really seemingly is a nija with just more options. Only thing losing is the middle barrage. Gonna do that minor fix.
I think the limit break is fine. The damage on the mudras though seem stronk. 20d6 by level 20 is pretty strong. Id say do 1d6 every 2 levels at the most. 10d6 damage is still pretty decent IMO, especially if Shinobi is going to be more of a melee dual wielder than a thrower.
(06-19-2015, 04:42 PM)Luphey Wrote: I think the limit break is fine. The damage on the mudras though seem stronk. 20d6 by level 20 is pretty strong. Id say do 1d6 every 2 levels at the most. 10d6 damage is still pretty decent IMO, especially if Shinobi is going to be more of a melee dual wielder than a thrower.

I thought that too. Tho I took into the account that they can fail the perform check and the need to be free handed in. I did have ki point spending rather high and I lowerd it. But yeah 10d6 shouldn't be too underwhelming
I'd really like to add more dual wielding stuff but not sure what to take out for it.
You could add a ninjutsu that lowers the penalties for 2 weapon fighting for however many rounds.
(06-20-2015, 09:50 AM)Luphey Wrote: You could add a ninjutsu that lowers the penalties for 2 weapon fighting for however many rounds.

I thought along those lines. Maybe even adding the weapon finesse stuff from thief and replace the throwing trixcks? Also may change lb etirely to match the lb3 of ninja in 14
Updated. Added LB and new Ninja tricks, also lowerd damage of Mudras.
I don't know how I feel about the Mudra Skill checks, since the DC scales with your level you basically always have a 30% chance of failure on a key class feature, lowered or increased depending on your Charisma modifier(someone with a -Cha race and dumping it to 7 could have as much as a 45% chance of failure). It seems fun and all but it's kind of a sad time for someone who keeps rolling low to waste actions, ki points, and basically become the GM's plaything for a few rounds.

Maybe having it be on a natural 1? I just don't think something this key to the class should have such an inherently high chance of failure, it's one thing to have Arcane Spell Failure... alright, you wore armor when you shouldn't have, there's a drawback, but a Shinobi who can't afford to keep a skill maxed out, or to have a high charisma, basically can't do the biggest thing about the archetype? It's just a bit off in my head.

--Fuma Shuriken: Just to clarify, a Huge Shuriken is a damage increase from 1d2 to 1d4... if it's meant to have a different or scaling damage die, it should probably be outlined. Since this is limited to one attack, having the Shuriken's damage die become 1d6/2 levels wouldn't be outrageous, and keeps in line with other Mudra damage scales. The potential additional Fire damage doesn't really mess this up, since it costs more Ki and most of the other Mudra have AoE or some additional effects.

--Ka/Rai/Hyton: Looks fine, the damage isn't anything to write home about but this class's damage is mostly from TWF Sneak Attacks anyways, the potential added status effects are nice enough to count, but not big enough to unbalance them.

--Suiton: At first glance looked fine, but then the additional bit at 15th level stuck out. I mean it's late down the line, and this requires three other Jutsu before you can take it (Fuma, Katon, Raiton) but it seemed odd that this one got some bonus down the line, when something with equal Prerequisites, Hyton, didn't.

That said, I like the idea of the elemental jutsu getting boosts later on, but they should all get them... so one doesn't greatly outshine the others later on. Also, I haven't played the source material, but perhaps you shouldn't require the chain of Katon-Raiton-beyond... the elemental blasts requiring Fuma even seems odd, all I can fathom is the game logic of 'they learned these in order', but if so then you may as well remove the illusion of freedom and make them set-in-stone features as opposed to pick-and-choose talents.

--Huton: The Magus(and Red Mage) have an Arcana that costs 1 Arcane Point(equivalent numbers to a Ki pool) that Hastes themselves alone, for Int(or Cha) mod rounds. This does cost 2 Ki and have a few more prerequisites, and takes a Standard action rather than Swift, but ends up with 10 more rounds. I'd consider the two roughly equal, but just in case the existence of the other ability changes your own outlook on this one I wanted to put it out there.

--Doton: Damage over time typically ends up with more than the burst, if it happens every round... now the damage here doesn't allow a save, and it's harder to escape due to difficult terrain, but perhaps the damage should gain their Wisdom mod or something. Just spit-balling.

--Ninja Tricks: When it comes to Archetypes replacing stuff like Deeds, which are gained at specific levels and aren't chosen, this approach would work... but since Ninja Tricks are basically like a set of talents outright denying access to ones from the original class is unheard of, I believe. Adding a set of new ones that ONLY this Archetype can choose from happens, rarely albeit, but I'd say either add them as options or force them to replace Ninja Tricks at levels 2, 6, 10, 14, and 18... or something.
(06-22-2015, 05:27 PM)dairius_chi Wrote: I don't know how I feel about the Mudra Skill checks, since the DC scales with your level you basically always have a 30% chance of failure on a key class feature, lowered or increased depending on your Charisma modifier(someone with a -Cha race and dumping it to 7 could have as much as a 45% chance of failure). It seems fun and all but it's kind of a sad time for someone who keeps rolling low to waste actions, ki points, and basically become the GM's plaything for a few rounds.

Maybe having it be on a natural 1? I just don't think something this key to the class should have such an inherently high chance of failure, it's one thing to have Arcane Spell Failure... alright, you wore armor when you shouldn't have, there's a drawback, but a Shinobi who can't afford to keep a skill maxed out, or to have a high charisma, basically can't do the biggest thing about the archetype? It's just a bit off in my head.

--Fuma Shuriken: Just to clarify, a Huge Shuriken is a damage increase from 1d2 to 1d4... if it's meant to have a different or scaling damage die, it should probably be outlined. Since this is limited to one attack, having the Shuriken's damage die become 1d6/2 levels wouldn't be outrageous, and keeps in line with other Mudra damage scales. The potential additional Fire damage doesn't really mess this up, since it costs more Ki and most of the other Mudra have AoE or some additional effects.

--Ka/Rai/Hyton: Looks fine, the damage isn't anything to write home about but this class's damage is mostly from TWF Sneak Attacks anyways, the potential added status effects are nice enough to count, but not big enough to unbalance them.

--Suiton: At first glance looked fine, but then the additional bit at 15th level stuck out. I mean it's late down the line, and this requires three other Jutsu before you can take it (Fuma, Katon, Raiton) but it seemed odd that this one got some bonus down the line, when something with equal Prerequisites, Hyton, didn't.

That said, I like the idea of the elemental jutsu getting boosts later on, but they should all get them... so one doesn't greatly outshine the others later on. Also, I haven't played the source material, but perhaps you shouldn't require the chain of Katon-Raiton-beyond... the elemental blasts requiring Fuma even seems odd, all I can fathom is the game logic of 'they learned these in order', but if so then you may as well remove the illusion of freedom and make them set-in-stone features as opposed to pick-and-choose talents.

--Huton: The Magus(and Red Mage) have an Arcana that costs 1 Arcane Point(equivalent numbers to a Ki pool) that Hastes themselves alone, for Int(or Cha) mod rounds. This does cost 2 Ki and have a few more prerequisites, and takes a Standard action rather than Swift, but ends up with 10 more rounds. I'd consider the two roughly equal, but just in case the existence of the other ability changes your own outlook on this one I wanted to put it out there.

--Doton: Damage over time typically ends up with more than the burst, if it happens every round... now the damage here doesn't allow a save, and it's harder to escape due to difficult terrain, but perhaps the damage should gain their Wisdom mod or something. Just spit-balling.

--Ninja Tricks: When it comes to Archetypes replacing stuff like Deeds, which are gained at specific levels and aren't chosen, this approach would work... but since Ninja Tricks are basically like a set of talents outright denying access to ones from the original class is unheard of, I believe. Adding a set of new ones that ONLY this Archetype can choose from happens, rarely albeit, but I'd say either add them as options or force them to replace Ninja Tricks at levels 2, 6, 10, 14, and 18... or something.

Mudra checks: I did have it lower. On the cohort i made with this she actuall has to roll a 2 to fail it. I myself didnt have much of a problem with the Ninja skill points allocating outwise. But i can see what you mean. I;ll take out the Ki point loss most likely and consider the only big fail on 1.

Fuma:I get ya. I'll re do Fuma to make it a more magical shuriken than a actual one so its not useless.

Sution: I actually thought about dropping the extra thing. Yes i tend to start these things from the source and try to stay as close as possible and then deviate later. This is one of those that felt i needed to stay to its make, but instead of making special stuff for everything els i'll probably drop it. Unless you guys think itd benefit the class more to do so.

Ninja Tricks: I made thse after, because i felt that since i allow the mudra ninjustu to be a choice instead, it felt that it wasnt losing anything. except the limit break. But i kinda like that idea better,

I'll fix this sometime this week. Been very busy lately with the new expansion and schedule with my game was wacky this week. So ive neglected the forums lately.
Wish I had heavensward to play at the moment. Been hyped for it since it was announced. Still like the original LB, and I will probably take it to use on one of my golden sun classes, albeit, not to limit breaky ha ha.
(06-24-2015, 04:26 PM)Luphey Wrote: Wish I had heavensward to play at the moment. Been hyped for it since it was announced. Still like the original LB, and I will probably take it to use on one of my golden sun classes, albeit, not to limit breaky ha ha.

Yay! Its been really good. New classes are awesome.
Shinobi has been updated:

Changed the Ninja tricks to be replacing ninja tricks gained at allocated levels.

Mudra has been changed to not waste a ki point on failure.

Requirements for other Mudra Ninustsu have been shot down and Fuma Shuriken was re-done.

Dream Within a Dream added to replace Hidden master.