Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Variant Multiclassing
Thought id make a spot for this. Pathfinder just added a really cool Multiclass feature. It would be neat i think to play it off as Sub-Jobs here. But its whatever. Would be a bit of work and all i know.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement
(Under Multiclassing for those who haven't seen.)
Will be worked on, hopefully soon. On the next update.
(05-26-2015, 08:29 PM)Viladin Wrote: Will be worked on, hopefully soon. On the next update.

Yay!
In the meantime, I would not be adverse to someone posting suggestions of the various FF classes for this, making less work for me. Smile
(05-26-2015, 10:59 PM)Viladin Wrote: In the meantime, I would not be adverse to someone posting suggestions of the various FF classes for this, making less work for me. Smile

I'll see what i can do Smile
Oof, tall order >.< I found myself slightly underwhelmed by the Variant Multiclassing, I mean it adds some flavor but it felt like it was made for the Fighter basically... what with the 5 feat cost.

That said, a friend of mine said that free Variant Multiclassing could be a fun way to handle a much less hectic 'Gestalt' style game. We actually have a PF setup in the near future to test this theory, but imo that would make an awesome optional rule for FFd20 for higher power campaigns to emulate the sub-jobs, without crippling feat progression.
(05-26-2015, 11:54 PM)dairius_chi Wrote: Oof, tall order >.< I found myself slightly underwhelmed by the Variant Multiclassing, I mean it adds some flavor but it felt like it was made for the Fighter basically... what with the 5 feat cost.

That said, a friend of mine said that free Variant Multiclassing could be a fun way to handle a much less hectic 'Gestalt' style game. We actually have a PF setup in the near future to test this theory, but imo that would make an awesome optional rule for FFd20 for higher power campaigns to emulate the sub-jobs, without crippling feat progression.

Yeah, looking around comparing the ones made on PF and trying to convert them, i've felt no real...gain? Think that word im looking for. I think some are rather penalizing. Like the Rouge getting sneak attack at 7th but only maxing out at 4d6. While i suppose it might be good still, i felt that it wasn't much worth. (Don't lie that's like the only reason anyone would get it.)

Also none of the mage classes got spells, or at least any good ones. A witch gets a cantrip at 11. A cantrip. lol

I'm looking at converting them as of right now. I may suggest not so much penalty with it however. Or well yeah its rather underwhelming.
I think Variant Multiclassing coming with Limited(4th level) casting in FFd20 wouldn't break game balance, and since the only other classes like that are Holy and Dark Knight, being able to cast in armor feels like it would work well enough.

But that is quite a bit stronger than some of the Features PF was bringing up, I mean not game changing but just better than what the Variant Multiclassing right now has.
Ok. me and Logan took a shot at it together. Again, only suggestions and didn't really include wording. I felt that should be up to Vil. But maybe he will find better placements as well.

Attached Files
.docx   Sub Job Variant.docx (Size: 17.55 KB / Downloads: 13)
Just wanted to add that Nelo and I stuck with the chart on that page, but we think there is probably room to still work with. Especially when looking at ones like the Oracle that gets 7 features (and I think they are pretty good, especially the Revelations one). Just my opinion, though
Fast work, fellas. Smile I'll look at it when I get home from work before I kill Dai in today's game.
(05-27-2015, 05:12 AM)Viladin Wrote: Fast work, fellas. Smile I'll look at it when I get home from work before I kill Dai in today's game.
If Bryndis dies I wanna play one of her world-hopping alternate selfs (has to be more than just her) that uses the Gunblade Knight PrC >_>

In fact, screw it, I wanna have some soul-searching epiphany during my anti-magic sickness crud and then magically wake up as a Red Mage/Gunblade Knight, it'd be a return to form from the original Bryndis!
I like the suggestions. One minor problem for Time Mages, however: they don't gain clear mind. I know, shocking to me too. In place of that, I'd suggest a single Aevum power or immunity to Doom/Countdown.
"Everyone get out. This'll take a while."
-The worst thing to hear after the result of a roll (Count:5)
(05-27-2015, 07:59 AM)darrel378 Wrote: I like the suggestions. One minor problem for Time Mages, however: they don't gain clear mind. I know, shocking to me too. In place of that, I'd suggest a single Aevum power or immunity to Doom/Countdown.

Oops. That would be my bad. It was late and the Time Mage was the last one, so my fingers just became autonomous with the "Clear Mind" at 19th.
(05-27-2015, 05:33 AM)dairius_chi Wrote:
(05-27-2015, 05:12 AM)Viladin Wrote: Fast work, fellas. Smile I'll look at it when I get home from work before I kill Dai in today's game.
If Bryndis dies I wanna play one of her world-hopping alternate selfs (has to be more than just her) that uses the Gunblade Knight PrC >_>

In fact, screw it, I wanna have some soul-searching epiphany during my anti-magic sickness crud and then magically wake up as a Red Mage/Gunblade Knight, it'd be a return to form from the original Bryndis!

I still need to fix some techs in truth. I wanted to add some Junctions but i decided it had enough. I may be fine with the amount of techs we have. (I have ten i think?) Though i will be redoing Thunderslash completely because i need it for.. another project in the future. I'll just give GK something similar. Theres also some techs that just stand out and rends others useless imo that i need to address.

But anyways yeah, me and logan went at it. We didn't include wording cause, i knew id be biased and make it stronger than needed, so we set placeholders.

And Wow. Yeah we just gave mages all clear mind at 19th. Felt it was right. Guess should have looked.

Theres some placements ive thought over and think some things should be switched around. (And yes i know Holy knight and dark knight dont technically have an aura list but you get what i meant. Didn't realize how i said that until later. But i hope the ideas help.
(05-27-2015, 07:59 AM)darrel378 Wrote: I like the suggestions. One minor problem for Time Mages, however: they don't gain clear mind. I know, shocking to me too. In place of that, I'd suggest a single Aevum power or immunity to Doom/Countdown.

Thats a mistake on my part, they should get Clear Mind.
(05-27-2015, 03:32 PM)Viladin Wrote:

Thats a mistake on my part, they should get Clear Mind.

Oh. Well that's good to know.
"Everyone get out. This'll take a while."
-The worst thing to hear after the result of a roll (Count:5)
One thing I notice right away is that the fighter VMC doesn't actually give up anything if you are playing a combat build, especially one that does not need many feats (looking at you 2 handers). Chosen weapon with +1 to hit and damage is basically weapon focus + half of weapon specialization when you first get it and it only goes up from there. After that, you get 2 fighter talents and 2 advanced fighter talents. These are all at least comparable to most combat feats if not better AND this allows you to use the feats you do get to be used on extra fighter talents. IN MY OPINION the fighter VMC should look more like the knight VMC (1 regular and one advanced talent) to better showcase some of the fighters other abilities like getting more strength to damage, rerolling bad attack rolls, or attacking on the go. Just my 2 gil on that particular VMC