Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elemental minions?
So me and the DM (Well I basically co-Dm for our entire group if not primary DM for all our gaming needs) are making a dragon. Well it is a number of things, kind of like the end boss with multiple forms that you see throughout the game. It is omnielemental, with followers to boot. I came here asking for ideas on followers that have either multiple elements, can be made to become any of the either elements or already has a variety of the sort. So far I have other dragons (FFVI...the best one comes to mind), flans and bombs. I only get to work on this once in a great while and we game less than that it seems. So thank you in advance for your help and advice.
You can do something like Spherimorph from FFX, where when it takes damage from its elemental weakness, it switches its weakness to a random element. This would work decent on minions that you plan on making last for more than 1 or 2 hits. Flans are nice since they are pretty much already configured for any element, and there are plenty of sizes to fit your needs. Bombs aren't too bad depending on how high your ECL is for the party.
The dragon itself is more of a spherimorph as the element shifts every round. The ECL will be increasing throughout the campaign. Of course you would see the minion without the dragon fighting or even there at times too. Just wasn't sure if there was any monster already predetermined for multiple elements...otherwise it will just as the spherimorph where there are different versions. If we had all the primals mapped out and there were enough for all 8 elements, I would use them as well.
Ok, ignoring the dragon, your asking about followers.

Whatd be neat (i dont know if itd work but just an idea) Do a seymour.

Have platforms or something that pertains to the dragon be there ,rotating between elements as the dragon does and it summons different mobs of your liking or summons. Possibly even allow the players a chance to hit it to knock it out of rotation.

As far as specific element besides the pdfs id say do the avatars and threat them as the dragons level for summoner stuff. But thats a lot of summons if you use them. I feel like ive heard of primals that are pre made but im not sure where they are.
I appreciate the ideas, I really do, so keep them coming. Nelo, is terms of the Primals...Vil has done stats on a few of them and they are in the bestiary...they are from FF XIV. Talking with the DM as I am posting this, she likes the spherimorph idea for the minions as well. We both like the platforms thing as well. So how many platforms would be appropriate? Keeping in mind that we are using all eight elements. I guess it could scale though depending on the power of the creature and the status of the campaign...
4 platforms would be good, 2 elements per platform,though not necessarily at the same time.
Depends on the size of the party too though.
Ahh right. My bestiary is cut off for some reason so i may not seem them or i just over looked them. (I think its Mozilla im too lazy to try and figure out why)

Yeah 4 platforms, but as he said kinda deciding on the size of the party. You could choose to have 4 different elements on one and 4 others on another or have all 8 randomly starting on 4 different ones that rotate between them all. Or if you want to be big about it or f its a big party do 8 platforms. But that would be a lot of mobs at once. 4 is a good number unless you think they can handle more. Perhaps make a special trigger that if all platforms are the same element they summon one big mob? Like a primal. And if the dragons element is corresponding to it, it does something neat. (Ultima?) Or perhaps Ultima would fit better if it was one of each element. Not sure if your including that. Or just a big trigger.

If you realllly wanted to be an ass:

Have mini rotating plates under the platforms that change every round that changes status effects that adds to the attacks of the mobs or the dragon.
You Nelo are one evil bastard. I love it. Non-elemental will be used...things like Bahumut, Ultima, Scathe and the like will be in the mix. The party is only about 6-8 big if we have everyone. The dragon himself would be non-elemental as well...was planning a mechanic where the party could knock out an element and if all 8 were done in, that is when the non-elem stuff would rear in. So I think I will be making up a few lists for what is summoned/cast depending on how many platforms are synced up, elemental-wise.

By the way, if anyone wants to run a version of this and tweak anything, just let me know the results/changes.