Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An ability that I can't get out of my head!
So, there's a particular character from Final Fantasy 6 with a particular ability I think could be rather interesting to implement in some way. Either grant it as a feat, or build a whole class archtype around it...I don't know. But I think it could be very interesting if handled right.

That character? Celes Chere. That ability? Runic. The ability to render a single spell that's been cast useless, and to gain the MP cost of that spell as your own.

Right now, my current game has certain cameos of characters from other Final Fantasys (maybe I'll get around to writing a synopsis), including General Celes, and I'm giving her my own variant of this skill as something attached to her weapon. Basically allowing, as an action that replaces an attack of opportunity, the wielder of the weapon to render any spell cast or targeted within a 30 foot radius ineffective, and the MP cost of said spell granted to the wielder. Of course it has a limited number of uses per day.

Now, I know you wouldn't want to set it as some sort of active ability you activate before hand, because meta knowledge would then just let the GM not cast a spell that round until the Runic deactivates. That's why I've considered it being an form of counter or AOO sub. But I'd like to see if anyone on here might have any input on the idea. Have fun!
I'd see it more as perhaps a class ability or weapon enhancement ability.

If it was me:
Ability: 3 times a day + Wisdom modifer the <class> may as an immediate action render a spell casted within 30ft of her useless. She must have line of sight and see the spell being cast. In doing do she gains the MP used to cast target spell to her own MP pool and cancels the spell. However she must first do a Spellcraft check on spell. This ability provokes an attack of opportunity.

Optional: Make the caster make a Will save against spellcraft check?
Take out attack of opportunity.
Perhaps make it more like Counter-spelling with Dispel and take the MP?

As a weapons id do the same just once a day. But if your doing it for a specific char you can always just give her a special NPC innate ability to do so.

Thats my thoughts, hope it helps.
If memory serves there was a special weapon property in 3.5 that acted like Spell-Storing, except it only stored Dispel Magic... or turned any spell stored INTO Dispel Magic? I forget exactly... but it allowed you to Dispel as an immediate action, I am pretty sure.

That was a +1 Weapon Property I wanna say, might have been from the Magic Item Compendium, but using that as a basis...

a +3 Weapon Property that let someone store either a set amount of MP, or maybe a progressive amount based on their level (2+1/2 level so it caps out at 12?) which can be used for Immediate Dispel attempts (costing 3 MP from the weapon each time), when successful the user can add the MP of the dispelled effect to their own pool, or to the weapon(maybe only half the amount to the weapon?).

I feel like it's a little unbalanced on the powerful side, but if it's for an NPC giving them unique weapon properties that are pretty good isn't unheard of. Granted, this doesn't necessarily cater to it being a skill of the person...

So failing that possibly a unique Feat, or Metamagic Feat? It'd be weird as Metamagic since it'd only work on Dispel but... eh? If it was a Feat I'd probably say giving it uses of 1+1/4 CL could work to limit how many times you can do an Immediate Action Dispel(with the MP drain effect).
I'd seen something similar before.
except it was an immediate action. but using it took up your standard for the next round as well. I suppose as a balancing effect.
Though it would suck to lose that standard if you fail the dispel.
I agree that this should be a readied action and not an attack of opportunity or immediate response, but I think as part of the "Dispel" check maybe have her role an attack, essentially seeing if she can "hit" the magic with her weapon in order to absorb it?

That at least seems more like a warrior/general taking out magic and brings to mind other fantasy tropes where characters cut through magic (so it doesn't have to be Celes specific). But a VERY cool concept.

I think I would make it a feat vs. a type of enchantment although enchantments could be applied ONLY to swords and that is more in line with the theme.