Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've never played a P&P RPG. I've never posted to a forum. I could use some help.
Question 
Hello good people. Me and a friend of mine have been interested in playing a Pen and Paper RPG for a while, but there are only two of us and neither of us have any idea where to get started. When we saw Final Fantasy we immediately knew this is what we want, but I could use some help finding some things. I apologize if this is the wrong spot to post this, but as the subject line states, I've never posted to a forum either.

If someone could help point me in the right direction I need:
1- A template to make character sheets. ( I read how to roll to fill it out in the PDFs but I don't have the sheets to write it down on)
2- Stories or campaigns to play through, preferably one meant for beginners. (I don't know if FFD20 has these but I've been reading a lot of D&D stuff, and they talk about the GMs reading from campaign books)
3- and also some advice on how to go about GMing. I plan on being GM, but there is only two of us so I want to know if it's possible for me to play as a character too.

Thank you to anyone and everyone willing to help.
(01-29-2015, 01:11 PM)Canzar Wrote: Hello good people. Me and a friend of mine have been interested in playing a Pen and Paper RPG for a while, but there are only two of us and neither of us have any idea where to get started. When we saw Final Fantasy we immediately knew this is what we want, but I could use some help finding some things. I apologize if this is the wrong spot to post this, but as the subject line states, I've never posted to a forum either.

If someone could help point me in the right direction I need:
1- A template to make character sheets. ( I read how to roll to fill it out in the PDFs but I don't have the sheets to write it down on)
2- Stories or campaigns to play through, preferably one meant for beginners. (I don't know if FFD20 has these but I've been reading a lot of D&D stuff, and they talk about the GMs reading from campaign books)
3- and also some advice on how to go about GMing. I plan on being GM, but there is only two of us so I want to know if it's possible for me to play as a character too.

Thank you to anyone and everyone willing to help.
Welcome! Its great to see new players.
1:FF was my first Gming experience as well. It runs off pathfinder so you can use pathfinder sheets but a FF sheet was made.

FF: http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/sho...php?tid=11
I'll attach my pathfinder sheet below

2: Theres no story campaigns made far as i know, so you can make your own but starting out you could just base it off of a FF game to get you going as far as lore. i started with FFX.

3. Its possible to dm and play. i mean nothings stopping you from doing it. plenty of ppl do it. My advice: just have fun. Thats all that matters in the end.
you will explaining and running the story, so do prep work and take a gander at the bestiary. It might not hurt to look up some played games(pathfinder or whatever) to see how gming is done but everyone has their own way. All rules are merely guidelines. if you dont like a rule change it to your groups liking.
Rule 0: GM is word of god. As in, he has final say to rules and such. But id say go by book till you know your way.

Don't be afraid to say: idk. Refer to pathfinder for rules if you dont know. Gm screens are cool, like bowties.
Make it a fun learning experience for you both and remember, Have fun! We are here to answer Any questions.

p.s sorry for any typos or punctuation problems. im down to one hand atm.

Attached Files
.pdf   Pathfinder Character Sheet Fillable - 3-Page Zumii v2.5.2.pdf (Size: 1.04 MB / Downloads: 4)
Since Nelo has already given you some good stuff, I will just drop in some advice. Try to do an amalgamation of the games you guys know. I had a campaign of the characters going through the games with the main characters, sometimes replacing temporary party members or helping them when they were solo (such as Terra in the prologue).

Don't be afraid to bend rules or make house rules, either. The rules are a baseline, not an absolute.

And the most important part to never forget is to just have fun with it! Have you always wanted to wear a dress with Cloud? Go for it!
The FFD20 character sheet isn't working. Just tried it. But you should be able to make due with Pathfinder sheets as Nelo said. You could potentially use what they call modules or adventure paths from Pathfinder as well...those are the pre-made adventures used by groups and beginners. Heck my group still uses them and I have been doing this since I was 5. (Pen & Paper I mean) They, just like the rules are mere baselines. I would offer to bring you into my group if you are local, but I have yet to meet another Minnesota person on here. Just remember, we all have your back, as I hope we have each others if ya ever need help.