Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Esperling/ Half Esper
One of my favorite characters in final fantasy is Terra from VI. As we started a new game my DM and I have attempted to make something suitable. Let me know your thoughts:

Hume racial abilities with the exceptions- replace the bonus feat with:

Trance (or Morph if you prefer): Starting at level 1 to have 2 rounds of Trance, initiated as a swift action, all magic cast by you has the damage variable boosted by 50% and all magic damage taken by you is reduced by 50%. Once the Trance/Morph is over (or ended prematurely- Free Action) the Half-esper is fatigued for twice as many rounds as they were in the Trance/Morph. Trance/Morph cannot be initiated while fatigued.

For every additional HD a Half-esper has beyond the first obtains 1 new round of Trance/Morph.
That seems very powerful for every level. It is definitely an interesting idea, possibly poses an alternate rule replacing the Limit Brrak ability with a Trance state. And different classes gain different bonuses from the Trance. At first thought this seems to be better than the exchange of a single feat.
I am hesitant to make it a Limit Break because it limits the functionality of the ability, and alters its purpose.

The idea is that an Esperling is a barely contained being that is super-saturated with magic. When MORE magic is applied then it all starts to break out. I think a better way to describe what it happening is to have the boosted damage/resistance effect and also apply a bleed damage and possibly a mental score penalty after you pull yourself back together (or something harsher than fatigue).
You could do this.

Make it an "altered" limit break. THey still gain the limit breaks of the class(es), but they also gain Esper form. However esper form can be used when they wish as a swift action; no need for 50%hp damage and the like. It does use up the "uses" of limit break per day. then remove the fatigue/exhausted stuff (Terra only had problems when she first did it )

Terra (and espers in "full form" in general) also increase physical abilities. I would give an option. Either "magic" or "phsyical" esper forcuses. Either chosen at lv 1 or whenever they use it. 50% is pretty high end, which makes it for sure a possibility for limit break competiting.

If you limit the usages to taking up the limit break then I think rounds per hit die is ok. If you change it so
If you don't want it to be limit break then maybe make it half your HD in rounds, and only equal to rounds for fatigue/exhaustion. Changing didn't decimate Terra, but it would represent some draining to her.

Alternatively: Esper form could open up the ability to pay more magic to increase damage by some fashion. But i haven't a clue what.
Oh, you know... What if it is basically the Overchannel metamagic feat but instead of HP you damage MP? That could be a cool enhancement that shows the "bleeding" of magic.

I like your ideas though. I will run them past my GM Smile

Thanks
I've actually been kicking around an idea about this myself...

My idea involves using the various planetouched races as a base, though most of the time the character would look entirely human, much how Terra does in the game. Then, using a "trance" they can tap into their planar (esper) heritage and gain the bonuses applicable to the planetouched chosen. The Trance would use 1 daily use of their Limit Break, and last for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the character level rounded down. This way at lower levels, especially 1, it is more beneficial for the character to use their Limit Break, but at higher levels it becomes more beneficial to use the Trance for the bonuses it provides.

Basically the character would be rolled as a standard Hume, with the stipulation being that the +2 they place be one of the bonuses provided by the planetouched involved (for example, if the player chooses Ifrit as the plane touched they can put the +2 in either Dex or Cha). When tranced the character then gets the full racial mods for the planetouched (using Ifrit as an example again, +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, and –2 Wisdom.) as well as the other features granted including fire resistance, the SLA, Fire Affinity, and Darkvision. I feel that since this eats a use of their Limit Break there is no need to impose Fatigue at the end of the duration. I would go so far as to work a damage bonus into the spells of the element involved with the Affinity (fire for Ifrits, healing for Aasimar, Dark for Tieflings, Earth for Oreads, etc). When not tranced though the character would function as a typical hume, with no bonuses aside from the free feat and extra skill points. Thoughts?
That's actually pretty clever