Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Dragoon (Dragoon Archetype) WIP
I feel this definitely needs some rebalancing in some respects. I first intended it to be a PRC, but then I figured that I should try my hand at creating an archetype. The idea here was to retain vanilla dragoon's offensive capabilities while giving him the passive abilities and spells of holy knight. Obviously this is based on Kain's After Years class. I've also toyed with creating a Dark Dragoon Archetype, but I want to see how this one is received.

Holy Dragoon

While most dragoons focus their abilities on striking against the enemy, the holy dragoon has found piece of mind in defending his allies. Taking a page from the book of the holy knight, he leaps to into the fray to heal friends and ward off foes. He trains himself in the healing arts that his mobility might aid wounded comrades on the brink of death.

Alignment: Lawful Good

Skills: A holy dragoon replaces Intimidate and Handle Animal with Heal and Sense Motive while adding Spellcraft to his class skill list.

Limit Break (Su): At 1st level, the holy dragoon receives a Limit Break (Invulnerability).

Invulnerability (Su): This Limit Break makes the holy dragoon immune to all damage for a duration of 1 round + 1 round per four holy dragoon levels. The drawback is that the holy dragoon cannot attack nor cast any white mage spells except Healing spells for until the duration has ended, doing so ends it abruptly.

This ability replaces Lancet.

Lay on Hands (Su): At 2nd level, the holy dragoon gains the Lay on Hands class feature of the holy knight. This ability replaces Pole Fighting.

Shared Defense (Su): At 3rd level, the holy dragoon gains the Shared Defense class feature of the holy knight. This ability replaces Steadfast Pike.

Spells (Su): At 5th level, the holy dragoon gains the ability to cast spells from the holy knight spell list without risking spell failure and using his holy dragoon level minus four as his caster level. This ability replaces Dragoon Training, Fighter Training, and Step Aside.

Level MP Spell Level
1st - -
2nd - -
3rd - -
4th - -
5th 1 1st
6th 2 1st
7th 2 2nd
8th 3 2nd
9th 4 2nd
10th 4 3rd
11th 7 3rd
12th 9 3rd
13th 9 4th
14th 10 4th
15th 14 4th
16th 17 4th
17th 19 4th
18th 20 4th
19th 24 4th
20th 27 4th

Holy Burst (Su): At 7th level, the holy dragoon gains the Holy Burst class feature using his holy dragoon levels minus four in place of white mage. This is a Charisma based ability. This ability replaces Tail Sweep.
For Holy Burst, personally, I would do something like "using the Dragoon's Level -4, in place of the white mage's." You might also add whether or not it uses Wisdom or Charisma or whichever stat. My reason being, you still get the bonus damage from deadly lancer, and holy knight spells, so having full damage and heal on Holy Burst also just seems a bit strong, plus its would only be weaker by 2d6 which isnt to bad, still get 8d6 by level 20. However, I really like this. Off topic, but the only thing I'm waiting for now is a dragoon archetype that mixes with blue mage, like kimahri from FFX. That would be something to see.
[Image: 21.jpg]
Makes sense. I made the change. You also gave me the idea for Ronso-only dragoon archetype that uses blue magic. I'm thinking the DC's will be Wisdom based and the max spell level he can normally cast will be 6th, however, he has the Ronso Rage Limit Break, that allows him to cast higher level blue magic that he's learned.
Lol, I was also working on a Blue Mage/Dragoon hybrid class today based on Luphey's comment... and I also thought 6th lvl would be a fair compromise. Mine focused more on the FFX "Lancet" ability as a learning mechanic.

I look forward to seeing what you have Smile I hope to finish mine sometime tomorrow or Saturday so maybe we can compare notes Smile
Aaaannnnnndddd here is a rough draft.

Bravehorn Dragoon

This is a ronso-only archetype for the dragoon class based on Kimhari

Skills: Handle Animal and Ride are replaced with Sense Motive and Survival as class skills.

Limit Break (Su): At 1st level the bravehorn dragoon receives the Limit Break (Ronso’s Rage)

Ronso’s Rage (Su): For 1 round + 1 round per four class levels, the bravehorn dragoon can cast blue Magic spells that he is normally able to cast without paying MP, he may also cast blue magic spells above his max spell level by 1 + 1 spell level per five levels of bravehorn dragoon for the normal MP cost. Activating this limit is a swift action.

This ability replaces Falling Meteor.

Modification to Lancet (Su): As a free action, the bravehorn dragoon may attempt a skill check in order to learn blue magic from the creature using d6 rolls as an insight bonus instead of healing and damage.

Creature Magic (Ex): At 1st level, the bravehorn dragoon gains this ability. It functions similarly to the blue mage ability except it uses the Wisdom modifier in place of Intelligence.

Level MP Spell Level
1st 1 1st
2nd 2 1st
3rd 3 1st
4th 3 2nd
5th 5 2nd
6th 6 2nd
7th 8 3rd
8th 8 3rd
9th 10 3rd
10th 12 4th
11th 16 4th
12th 20 4th
13th 22 5th
14th 26 5th
15th 28 5th
16th 30 6th
17th 39 6th
18th 40 6th
19th 46 6th
20th 50 6th

This ability replaces Deadly Lancer and Dragoon Training.

Scan (Su): At 2nd level, as a swift action, the bravehorn dragoon can scan a creature within 60 feet to find out if it has a supernatural ability she can learn from. A creature can resist the effects by making a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 of the bravehorn dragoon’s level + his Wisdom modifier).

This ability replaces Pole Fighting.

Modification to Armor Training (Ex): Light armor does not affect spell failure.

Spell Proficiency (Ex): At 7th level, the bravehorn is considered to have the Precise Shot feat while casting spells or using any magical items that require ranged touch.

This ability replaces Fighter Training.

Libra (Su): At 9th level, the bravehorn dragoon can analyze a creature to find how much (current) hit points, (current) magic points, damage reduction, any resistances, and any weaknesses it possesses. A creature can resist the effects by making a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 of the bravehorn dragoon’s level + his Wisdom modifier). This ability has a range of 60 feet and requires a move action which doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.

This ability replaces Flexible Flanker.