Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why Dark knight alignment?
Hi there.

While I was browsing the classes and some of their rules, I came to realise, that dark Knights needs to be evil and I just wonder why?

In Final Fantasy there are actually good Dark knights.
In FF14 its a playable job and the hero is a warrior of light.
Alternis Dim in Bravely Default is a good one too (We could argue if BD counts as Gf Big Grin )

So my suggestion is; remove the prequisit to be evil and change smite good to smite opposite alignment. So the player can choose if its good, evil, lawful or chaotic. True neutral just needs to choose as well.
It's mostly because the Holy Knight was designed as a modified version of PF's Paladin, and the Dark Knight was simply designed as the opposite. I went and made a trait specifically for Dark Knights, however, and it's to allow them to be any lawful or any evil. Have a look.
I have seen that. But I still think the reason " its like that in PF" shouldnt be a valid one. Further; that trait just makes you lose class features, so its actually a drawback.
Its good that someone thought about it already, but I think it would be morw elegant to change that little portion of the class.
Personally, I do think you're right, so I usually just waiver good or evil alignment restrictions in my own games; just because you're a Dark Knight doesn't mean you're evil (Cecil Harvey being the best example of this, the only evil thing he did was he didn't speak out against his orders to raid Mysidia at the very beginning, and even then he was regretful), just like being a Holy Knight shouldn't mean you're good. Point in case: Delita Heiral (a solid True Neutral), Wiegraf Folles (straddling the line between Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil), and Folmarv Tengille (Lawful Evil through and through) from Final Fantasy Tactics. Delita became a Holy Knight, while Wiegraf was a White Knight and became a Templar, and Folmarv was a Templar from the start, the both of them even having holy sword techniques.

I mean, yeah, Tactics is probably the darkest entry in the franchise, but still.
Cecil was considered evil to allow it. He may have regretted later, (and changing alignment to reflect this), but he was still evil. Smile
So... no dark heroes allowed?
Thats a pity.
Mmm... I still wouldn't call Cecil evil. Yeah, he did an evil thing, but one evil act doesn't change your entire character. The only other morally repugnant thing he intentionally does is tell Rosa to stay home before they go to the moon a second time, but The After Years reveals that's because Rosa was preggers. Mist and the dragon? So far as either he or Kain knew, the Mist Dragon was just a big monster, and neither of them knew what was in the Package. He was even willing to fight his best friend and an entire kingdom over the life of a little girl because of the injustice of it all, and how unfair it was for her. Pretty much everything he does past Mist is for the benefit of good, innocent people.
(09-02-2017, 02:36 PM)Manly Man Wrote: Mmm... I still wouldn't call Cecil evil. Yeah, he did an evil thing, but one evil act doesn't change your entire character. The only other morally repugnant thing he intentionally does is tell Rosa to stay home before they go to the moon a second time, but The After Years reveals that's because Rosa was preggers. Mist and the dragon? So far as either he or Kain knew, the Mist Dragon was just a big monster, and neither of them knew what was in the Package. He was even willing to fight his best friend and an entire kingdom over the life of a little girl because of the injustice of it all, and how unfair it was for her. Pretty much everything he does past Mist is for the benefit of good, innocent people.

It sounded like, to me, he kinda knew what the king was wanting him to do, for the longest time. And he let it go, until finally, it got to him.
(09-02-2017, 10:22 AM)Rainbow Wrote: So... no dark heroes allowed?
Thats a pity.

I would see this in many shades of gray. Another good example of this would be warcraft III with Arthas. He was willing to burn down towns and kill people who he knew were already plagued by that disease just to save what was left of his kingdom. He thought he was doing the right thing but was he really? Another example, it's kind like the whole thing with drow. Most other civilizations view them as evil since they've grown up that way in the under dark but not all of them choose to go that route. Sorry to get sidetracked there but I personally don't think there should be alignment restriction also it depends on your DM.  If you were going to go with a 'good' dark knight I would suggest changing some of the alignment base abilities more towards his/her actual alignment and make sure the background you have for your character sounds convincing for your DM but then again maybe s/he won't mind it.
Those who wield red magic and blue magic are know as violet mages but very few are actually known and even fewer are actually masters of the violet magic.