Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pathfinder/FFd20 questions - MP, Magic, Materia
Hello all! New member of the forums! I had a few questions, but first a bit of info.

I've been working on a Pathfinder World setting for close to 2 years now. I've revamped that world countless times, and I'm quite happy with most everything in it, save for one thing. The Magic system. The standard pathfinder magic system is fine as it is, but ti doesn't really fit well for the overall theme and flavor I'm going for. I've been using a Spell Points system from 3.5 as an alternative method, but it's still not quite there. For awhile now, I've been looking to incorporate a system similar to Magicite from FFVI or Materia from FFVII. Every time I think I've got a good idea, bam, it either unbalances things drastically, or is so under powered it's useless. Well, finally my brain started working again and I figured I might as well do a search for an FFd20 or d6 RPG, maybe somebody created something that will help me, or at least guide me towards the right direction. Well, I've stumbled across several. There was a FFRPG 3.5 D&D Supplement by Raidzuo, which seems none existent now, followed by a FFd6RPG and then this one.

Now, those questions I mentioned earlier.

1. Being built in Pathfinder, how compatible is, say, ripping out the Materia section from here, and stuffing it into the Pathfinder game? What I mean is, if I tear the total Pathfinder Magic system out, and replace it with MP and Materia, would it be compatible on it's own?

2. Should there be any changes made to existing spell casters in PF? I'd prefer not to just boot them all, as I think I can salvage them. If I keep them, my concern is that they have abilities not covered by FFd20, and I'd have to give them a boost in return for what they loose. Witches get Hexes, which aren't covered by Materia. I could do one of two things, I think. A) Allow them to stay and put an MO cost on them. B) Remove them, and give them something else in return, not sure what though.

Side note: I'm not looking to run a Final Fantasy game. I'm looking to run a Pathfinder game with elements from FF thrown in to help build my world.

Thanks for reading, and for your help in advance.

~Sparx

Edit: if this is in the wrong spot, i appologize. Please move it if needed.

Edit 2: Had a thought this morning (at 3 am) while laying in bed. What if I removed the entire the magic system and spell casters as they are, and plugged in the materia and mp system, then add in a trait that is available at creation that gives extra MO and boosts spell dice by 1 step. This would represent that individual's inherent magic ability, like Aerith from VII.
You could use the MP system from here for Pathfinder spells as the MP cost is based on the spells level. Final Fantasy spellcasters tend to have few if any out of combat utility spells. Materia if used in Pathfinder should replace the weapon and armor enhancement system because if used in tandem it will be broken (imagine a +5 holy flaming burst greatsword that can now have 8 materia added to it).
Officially, Materia now exists alongside the normal magical weapons from pathfinder. No weapon can get 8 materia slots, by the way, and Vil removed the Mastercraft weapons system.

Basically, take pathfinder weapons, find out how many materia slots it should have based on weapon type, and port materia over.

There have been some MP systems in D&D before so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
As Nih said, max is 4 for certain weapons and armor.
and weapon enhancements stack with materia?
(05-18-2013, 10:17 PM)Wolfen Fenrison Wrote: and weapon enhancements stack with materia?

Yes.
(05-18-2013, 09:40 PM)Viladin Wrote: As Nih said, max is 4 for certain weapons and armor.

Wait, max is 4? From the table on the materia section I was under the impression the max were 3 slots. Is there an updated version somewhere?
(05-20-2013, 03:30 PM)Thimacek Wrote:
(05-18-2013, 09:40 PM)Viladin Wrote: As Nih said, max is 4 for certain weapons and armor.

Wait, max is 4? From the table on the materia section I was under the impression the max were 3 slots. Is there an updated version somewhere?

My bad, 3. Dunno where I got 4 from, probably from the old model.
How about a set of weapon and armor enhancements that add a materia slots for the cost of a +1 bonus per slot added? For example a +5 greatsword with 5 extra slots (maxing out the total +10 bonus a weapon could have) would have a total of 8 slots and a +5 to attack and damage.
In two words: No way.

Explanation: 3 slots is already super powerful. Giving a weapon or armor 8 slots would be ridiculous.
I gave the suggestion that +2 or +3 equivalent ability wouldn't be overpowered. That would be up to your DM, however.