Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Update Thread
I thought there was a change that made all armors and weapons only one slot? due to how powerful they are with enchantments.

"For materia to function and gain MXP, it must be attached onto an item. Each item can hold a single materia, but an attached materia can be swapped for another one at any time. Attaching a materia to (or removing it from) an item requires a move action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. Effectively, each eligible item has a single "slot" that can be filled by any appropriate materia. Once attached, it immediately activates and provides the user with all its bonuses. If attached item is sundered, the materia is not destroyed."

Anyways, great update. I'm so ready to see what these hybrids are capable of.
(01-25-2015, 09:54 AM)TheSchmaltz Wrote: Materia page 2 on the webpage has 2 broken image links: Lightning materia and the MXP chart at the beginning.

The Materia for the MXP chart and Lightning Materia are not showing for me as well, but mine is part 1.

Great update, though! Can't wait to play around with the new Scholar! Nelo thought my sorc/whm/sch was going to be bad, but he is about to see me make my FF11 be reborn...if I ever find the time.

Thanks for all your work, Vil!
(01-24-2015, 10:56 PM)Freeray Wrote: Something I noticed with the technomancer. Their suits can have shoulder slots for ranged busters, and it mentions having one in each slot, but two handed variations need two slots to work. However, there's no listed way for a ranged buster to be one handed.

Whoops. Hrm, I'll think of how to fix that. Thanks for the catch!

(01-25-2015, 05:07 PM)NeloAngelo Wrote: I thought there was a change that made all armors and weapons only one slot? due to how powerful they are with enchantments. Anyways, great update. I'm so ready to see what these hybrids are capable of.

Indeed! And thanks. It does put out the mages though... Maybe allow a robe to be enchanted with enhancement bonuses. I don't see why someone couldn't.

(01-25-2015, 09:26 PM)Archmagel Wrote:
(01-25-2015, 09:54 AM)TheSchmaltz Wrote: Materia page 2 on the webpage has 2 broken image links: Lightning materia and the MXP chart at the beginning.

The Materia for the MXP chart and Lightning Materia are not showing for me as well, but mine is part 1.

Great update, though! Can't wait to play around with the new Scholar! Nelo thought my sorc/whm/sch was going to be bad, but he is about to see me make my FF11 be reborn...if I ever find the time.

Pesky image files! Thanks Smile
(01-25-2015, 09:26 PM)Archmagel Wrote:

When did i say that? Hell you whipped ass before the melees got up there and kept them alive lol
(01-26-2015, 04:13 PM)NeloAngelo Wrote: When did i say that? Hell you whipped ass before the melees got up there and kept them alive lol

Lol, I meant "bad" as in you didn't even want to deal with it (when I was able to hit, that is).

Just making sure I am reading right, but the Hybrid Scholar does gain mp from both having a high widom and intelligence, right? Kind of like the prestige did with its mp from its previous casting classes?
(01-26-2015, 11:06 PM)Archmagel Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 04:13 PM)NeloAngelo Wrote: When did i say that? Hell you whipped ass before the melees got up there and kept them alive lol

Lol, I meant "bad" as in you didn't even want to deal with it (when I was able to hit, that is).

Just making sure I am reading right, but the Hybrid Scholar does gain mp from both having a high widom and intelligence, right? Kind of like the prestige did with its mp from its previous casting classes?

Yes.
A few quick technomancer questions:
  • Are inventions, especially gadgets which emulate magic items, considered magic, or are they considered technological? For example, can a shindroid with Magic Ineptitude use an invention, or will an invention fail to function in an anti-magic field or similar effect?
  • What is a "General Gadget" (mentioned only in passing in Invent)?
  • Can a technomancer improve an existing invention of his by spending the money and time equal to the difference in point value to add more invention points worth of abilities?
  • Can a technomancer use Metamagic Science and Technomancy Mastery on gadgets?
  • The Precision (Suit) lets the technomancer add a gadget slot to any suit for free, but suits do not appear to have a gadget slot upgrade, only constructs.
  • When emulating a wand, rod, or staff via gadget, do these items retain the requirement of the spell being on the user's class list (which, unless Technomancy also applies to using gadgets, would require UMD checks)?
  • Can a melee buster be made to be one-handed or two-handed to allow for the technomancer to add an additional half his Strength modifier on attacks by wielding it in two hands?
(01-27-2015, 04:49 PM)Klinkin Wrote: A few quick technomancer questions:
  • Are inventions, especially gadgets which emulate magic items, considered magic, or are they considered technological? For example, can a shindroid with Magic Ineptitude use an invention, or will an invention fail to function in an anti-magic field or similar effect?
  • What is a "General Gadget" (mentioned only in passing in Invent)?
  • Can a technomancer improve an existing invention of his by spending the money and time equal to the difference in point value to add more invention points worth of abilities?
  • Can a technomancer use Metamagic Science and Technomancy Mastery on gadgets?
  • The Precision (Suit) lets the technomancer add a gadget slot to any suit for free, but suits do not appear to have a gadget slot upgrade, only constructs.
  • When emulating a wand, rod, or staff via gadget, do these items retain the requirement of the spell being on the user's class list (which, unless Technomancy also applies to using gadgets, would require UMD checks)?
  • Can a melee buster be made to be one-handed or two-handed to allow for the technomancer to add an additional half his Strength modifier on attacks by wielding it in two hands?

They are considered technological.
General gadget is just any gadget that can be used by any class, like wondrous items/rings/etc.
Yes.
Yes.
I'll fix that in the future.
No.
Yes.
1/27/2015- Minor update: A quick update, fixed a few minor errors, added a couple of traits, and updated the main FFd20 book. You will notice that I removed all instances of technology (including classes, skills, and feats). It will be all put into the new book, the FFd20 Technology Book. Enjoy!
Major update: Did a few prestige class converting into archetypes and one hybrid class. Fixed a few errors, updated a few archetypes.

PDF Files

Updated a printer-friendly slimmed down version of the FFd20 PDF file. Located here: http://finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/pathfin...0_slim.pdf

Classes

Knight - Changed Shield Guard ability into Steel Defense ability.
Necromancer - Changed Grave Touch ability into Bolster ability.

Hybrid Classes

Black Belt - Changed Exploit Weakness ability into Close Weapon Mastery ability.
Ninja - Converted from PRC to a Thief/Monk hybrid class.

Archetypes

Berserker - Made a few changes to the entire archetype.
Elementalist - Converted from PRC to Black Mage archetype.
Necrotic Healer - Made a few changes to the entire archetype.
Phantom Blade - Converted from PRC to Illusionist archetype.
Samurai - Converted from PRC to Fighter archetype.
Skald - Converted from PRC to Bard archetype.

Feats

Added Extra Ninja Trick and Extra Ninjutsu feats.
Interesting stuff! Though now that's three hybrids with monk as a base. Might wanna lay off it.

Then again, I kinda want Sage to become a hybrid, but it would be another Black/White mage, so what do I know?
"Everyone get out. This'll take a while."
-The worst thing to hear after the result of a roll (Count:5)
(02-22-2015, 12:27 AM)darrel378 Wrote: Interesting stuff! Though now that's three hybrids with monk as a base. Might wanna lay off it.

Then again, I kinda want Sage to become a hybrid, but it would be another Black/White mage, so what do I know?

Yeah, way too many monk hybrids. No worries, not making anymore.
With Blue Mages, do they have any Knowledge Proficiencies? They are still listed as Know Beast Lore, but the content of the text is switched to the multi knowledge system.
They have Knowledge(All), the web page just hasnt been updated yet.
(03-21-2015, 02:24 PM)Luphey Wrote: They have Knowledge(All), the web page just hasnt been updated yet.

^ What he said. Luphey beat ya to it. Smile
I'm incredibly happy that my group found this ruleset, and our GM is running a game with this now, but I have a couple of questions about going into the Arithmetician class.

To enter you need to be able to cast 2nd level black and white spells, and have 7 ranks in Knowledge(Mathematics). If I took seven levels of scholar (putting a rank into know(math) each level), I should be good to enter the prestige class right?

If so, how the the MP per Day / Spells Known work? Am I able to increase my mp and spells known twice once with scholar as the black magic class, and once with scholar as the white magic class? It seems like I shouldn't be able to, but as written I can't see why not.

In addition to that, if I took four levels in scholar and three levels in black mage, can I use Scholar as the white magic class and Black Mage as the black magic class?

Under the Mathematical casting, does the four option cover all prime numbers (like Final Fantasy Tactics) and check to see if the Situation, or do you choose one prime number and divide your chosen Situation by it as normal? (It seems much more like the second, but I've been reading and rereading the stuff on this wiki so much my brain has turned to mush.)

For the capstone ability of Arithmetician (Soul Bind), which Number of mine do I check the damage against? Its written as if it's a singular number.

Also I guess this one is more asking opinion as opposed to rule clarification, but would any of the GM's that have had a player take the arithmetician class allow them to choose "Number of Squares from me" as a valid situation?

Thanks to anyone that reads/answers these questions! Our game has been going great so far and we are all really enjoying this system!
(04-01-2015, 06:45 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: I'm incredibly happy that my group found this ruleset, and our GM is running a game with this now, but I have a couple of questions about going into the Arithmetician class.

To enter you need to be able to cast 2nd level black and white spells, and have 7 ranks in Knowledge(Mathematics). If I took seven levels of scholar (putting a rank into know(math) each level), I should be good to enter the prestige class right?

Yes.
(04-01-2015, 06:45 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: If so, how the the MP per Day / Spells Known work? Am I able to increase my mp and spells known twice once with scholar as the black magic class, and once with scholar as the white magic class? It seems like I shouldn't be able to, but as written I can't see why not.

Unfortunately no. You could with the below example though.
(04-01-2015, 06:45 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: In addition to that, if I took four levels in scholar and three levels in black mage, can I use Scholar as the white magic class and Black Mage as the black magic class?

Yes.
(04-01-2015, 06:45 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: Under the Mathematical casting, does the four option cover all prime numbers (like Final Fantasy Tactics) and check to see if the Situation, or do you choose one prime number and divide your chosen Situation by it as normal? (It seems much more like the second, but I've been reading and rereading the stuff on this wiki so much my brain has turned to mush.)

Second.
(04-01-2015, 06:45 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: For the capstone ability of Arithmetician (Soul Bind), which Number of mine do I check the damage against? Its written as if it's a singular number.

Any that fits your Number. By 10th, you'll have all 4 of them, so most of the time, its gonna activate.
(04-01-2015, 06:45 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: Also I guess this one is more asking opinion as opposed to rule clarification, but would any of the GM's that have had a player take the arithmetician class allow them to choose "Number of Squares from me" as a valid situation?

I'd allow it. Smile
(04-01-2015, 06:45 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: Thanks to anyone that reads/answers these questions! Our game has been going great so far and we are all really enjoying this system!

You are welcome. Smile Glad you guys enjoy it. Loved making it.
(04-01-2015, 06:45 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: I'm incredibly happy that my group found this ruleset, and our GM is running a game with this now, but I have a couple of questions about going into the Arithmetician class.

If so, how the the MP per Day / Spells Known work? Am I able to increase my mp and spells known twice once with scholar as the black magic class, and once with scholar as the white magic class? It seems like I shouldn't be able to, but as written I can't see why not.

In addition to that, if I took four levels in scholar and three levels in black mage, can I use Scholar as the white magic class and Black Mage as the black magic class?

Under the Mathematical casting, does the four option cover all prime numbers (like Final Fantasy Tactics) and check to see if the Situation, or do you choose one prime number and divide your chosen Situation by it as normal? (It seems much more like the second, but I've been reading and rereading the stuff on this wiki so much my brain has turned to mush.)

For the capstone ability of Arithmetician (Soul Bind), which Number of mine do I check the damage against? Its written as if it's a singular number.

Also I guess this one is more asking opinion as opposed to rule clarification, but would any of the GM's that have had a player take the arithmetician class allow them to choose "Number of Squares from me" as a valid situation?

Thanks to anyone that reads/answers these questions! Our game has been going great so far and we are all really enjoying this system!

1) Yes, getting to a Level 7 Scholar and having 7 ranks in Knowledge (Mathematics) would unlock the class for you.
2) I'd take it as a yes, seeing as the whole point was to make up for lost levels. The Arithmetician was created quite a while ago, and as such hasn't been updated with the newer additions, so the original way to unlock it was 3/4 black and white mage levels, which cost you spells and MP. For scholar, perhaps only the extra spell is gained? What does our creator have to say about it?
3) That would be a yes. Hmm, the way that works needs lots of reworking.
4) From the way it is presented, it seems like "Any Prime Number" means any Prime number. So if you chose it, whatever your situation is would have to be 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, etc. Again, Vil has final word.
5) I...? Vil, what does this mean?
6) I would say you'd need to use "Number of Feet Away from Me." Although this is more on your personal GM's beliefs.
1. So with the Any Prime Number choice, do i choose a single prime number when i get the ability, or do I make the choice of prime number whenever an ability activates that calls for a Number?

2. Also when it say "at 1st level and every other level after" does that mean 1st, 2nd, 3rd...etc or does it mean 1st, 3rd, 5th...etc? (I don't know how common it is anywhere else but the phrase "every other" can mean to count by two's where I'm from.)

3. Do the bonus die to damage granted from the Black Magery class feature Increased Damage stack with the bonus die to damage for elemental spells from the Scholar's Dark Arts?

4. Under Magic Descriptors, it lists Elemental as a School. Does that mean it is compatible with the Pathfinder feat Spell Focus? If so, that seems to defeat the purpose of the new Elemental Focus feat.

5. With the Black Mage class ability Dark Affliction, does the penalty to the saving throw happen before or after they make their saving throw for the spell? i.e If I cast thunder on someone and the DC for the saving throw against the Static status effect is 15, would they roll their save and then take the penalty to saves vs Static, or would they take the penalty to save vs Static first and effectively have to beat a DC 16?

Sorry for so many questions! It isn't often that you actually get to get answers directly from the person who created the stuff you are using.

Again, thanks a ton!
(04-02-2015, 12:09 PM)princeofmirth Wrote: So with the Any Prime Number choice, do i choose a single prime number when i get the ability, or do I make the choice of prime number whenever an ability activates that calls for a Number?

The option means 'any prime number.' So if your situation was 'HP' and you chose 'Any Prime Number' as the Number, then characters at 1, 3, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37 etc HP would be affected by the spell used, and only them.