Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recurring Equipment in the FF canon
Consider this a minor side-piece from me more than anything else, but I've had a bee in my bonnet ever since I saw the new improved equipment list for the FFD20. Yes, it's a lot more detailed than it was, but I believe that, through the judicious use of specific enhancements, differing powered bonuses and reflavouring, that any of the iconic FF weapons and armor can be made.

So, here goes. I'll post the complete list here, but continue with posts down the page. Consider this a perpetual WIP.
I actually deleted mastercrafting after transferring over to Pathfinder. Just letting magical weapons/armors take over.
Yep. Caught me off guard too.
Ah. Well. That'd be why.
I've been working off the PDF for a little while now - I think I still have a copy of something like the 2011 version on my tablet. I shall update the information ASAP.
If you have any criticisms or points you wish to raise with me, please let me know. It is only through knowing how I fail that I can eventually succeed.
All right! First cab off the rank: one of the easier and most prevalent weapons within the more classically influenced FFs - the Excalibur, Excalipoor and Excalibur II. First, though, a brief expansion on elemental enhancements:

Shining: On command, this weapon leaves a trail of light behind it when swung, as if an aurora is trying to escape from the striking portion of the weapon. The weapon deals +1d6 holy damage on a successful hit.
Moderate Elemental (light); CL 10th; Light III, Lightra or Radiant Breath; Price: +1 Bonus

Shining Burst: As shining, but on confirmation of a critical hit the weapon emits a dazzling explosion of light that causes an extra 1d10 holy damage if the weapon deals x2 critical hit damage. If the weapon deals x3 critical damage, the bonus damage is increased to 2d10 and if the critical hit damage is x4, the bonus damage is increased to 3d10.
Strong Elemental (light); CL 12th; Light III, Lightra or Radiant Breath; Price: +2 Bonus

Excalibur
Old, but not worn; large, but not heavy; artfully made, but not gaudy or ostentatious - This knightsword is a marvel of construction and always seems to shine with a pure light, even in the darkest night.
Possibly the greatest example of a knightsword the world has known, the Excalibur is a legendary weapon that few have had the privelage to bear. True, some other swords might be more powerful, but the Excalibur stands as a testament to the principles of knighthood - honor, faith and charity to those in need.
Excalibur is a +4 holy shining knightsword that sheds light as a [light] spell. The light cannot be suppressed except by covering the weapon.
Total cost: 98, 353 gil

Excalipoor
The knightsword in your hands fits the description of the legendary blade Excalibur perfectly - right down to the intricate carvings and the heft of the blade. Sure, it's a different color to what the legend described, but it's definitely the coveted blade... right?
Excalipoor, the blade few men know and even fewer will admit to the fact. Whether it was made as a replica of the Excalibur and went horribly wrong or was intended as a practical joke that went horribly right is unknown. What is known is that this weapon has spelt the doom of many an unsuspecting adventurer throughout the years.
Excalipoor appears to be functionally identical to the Excalibur, even acting as a +4 holy shining knightsword in training. When used in combat, however, the holy and shining abilities do not function to cause extra damage and the weapon causes only 1 damage on a successful hit. This ability only affects the current holder of Excalipoor at the time of impact.
Total Cost: 65,569 gil

Excalibur II
A blade so fine as to almost vanish when looked at the wrong way, a light that seems to not only radiate light, but actively vanquish shadow and a feeling of pure, uplifting assurance in what is truly right... this sword does not live up to the legends, it surpasses them in every way.
If legend speaks of the Excalibur in hushed tones, then history itself dares not speak of the successor, the perfected blade known as Excalibur II for fear of besmirching the name of the blade. The pinnacle of what can be achieved with mortal craftsmanship, the Excalibur II is one of the strongest weapons and symbols of virtue known to man.
Excalibur II is a +5 holy shining burst keen knightsword that sheds light as the light spell. Additionally, once per day the user may make use of the Limit Break Honor Bound. The user must fulfill all requirements for performing a Limit Break before using Honor Bound.
Total Cost: 216,353 gil

Honor Bound: By calling upon your desire to protect and bring just punishment to the wicked, the Excalibur II can make your desire happen. Entire swathes of enemies come under assault from what could only be described as a wave of belief made manifest, some falling while others stand in awe of the power.
Any evil foe within 60 feet suffers 10d6 holy damage and suffers a status effect, depending on a will save (Caster Level 20th, using the wielder's CHA stat and treating Honor Bound as a 9th level spell for the purposes of save DCs). A successful Will save decreases the damage by half and negates the status effect.
If the target failed the save, the target is dazzled by the bright display of light burning his evil eyes. If the target failed the save by 3 or more, the target is also fascinated by the display. If the target failed the save by 5 or more, the target is considered stunned, suddenly realizing the ramifications of his evil ways. If the target fails the save by 7 or more, his HP is reduced to 0 and he is knocked unconscious.
Each status effect lasts for 2d4 rounds or until dispelled except for the unconsciousness. A character rendered unconscious by this ability must be healed to HP greater than 0 to recover.
If you have any criticisms or points you wish to raise with me, please let me know. It is only through knowing how I fail that I can eventually succeed.
I like it Smile Just a minor thing though, light damage should be holy damage. Only than that, looks great.
Cool cool. Modifying now. The only thing I wasn't 100% sure on was the addition of the holy enhancement - I'm not sure if that will be a thing or not, but as it is I think it embodies what the Excalibur chain is, so I decided to go out on a limb.

For my next trick, something a little more low key - The Rising Sun. As with the Excalibur, I might need to expand the equipment list to include chakram, throwing discs very much like the Rising Sun. As such:

Chakram

A chakram is a metal disc, bladed all the way around and thrown at an enemy. Though it is not recommended or designed for melee combat, it can be used as a melee weapon. However, if used as such the wielder suffers a -1 penalty to attack rolls and must make a DC 15 reflex save or suffer 1/2 damage from the chakram cutting into the user's hand. If the user is wearing plate armor or any armored gauntlet, the reflex save is automatically succeeded.

Weapon Stats: Damage 1d8 (1d6 small) slashing, Critical modifier x2, Range increment 30 ft. (thrown), Cost 1 gp, weight 1 lb.

Now, for the main event:

Rising Sun
This throwing disc is faintly warm to the touch, as if it has been left out in the midday sun for some hours. This, combined with the chakram's radiating flame motif, brings to mind a blazing sun in metallic form.
The Rising Sun is a chakram that channels the power of the sun to burn enemies and purify evil. Sometimes found as a blade attached to a metal glove, the Rising Sun is known as a powerful tool in the fight against evil, though the flame can burn the righteous as well as it can the despotic.
The Rising Sun is a +3 flaming returning chakram. If used in melee, the fire damage is also dealt to the user on an unsuccessful save.
Cost: 50,301 gil.
Alternately, it is not unknown to discover lesser forms of the rising sun as gauntlets. In this instance, these weapons are considered +1 flaming combat gloves that deal slashing damage instead of bludgeoning.
Cost: 8,306 gil

Also note that I am open to do requests - and not just for weapons, either! Armor, shields, accessories - you name it, I'll stat it up if I can! I'll get to what I can between my other projects and hopefully we can fill up the ranks of all the common (and maybe even not-so-common) FF equipment.
(05-09-2013, 09:34 PM)Kaiser6012 Wrote: Cool cool. Modifying now. The only thing I wasn't 100% sure on was the addition of the holy enhancement - I'm not sure if that will be a thing or not, but as it is I think it embodies what the Excalibur chain is, so I decided to go out on a limb.

For my next trick, something a little more low key - The Rising Sun. As with the Excalibur, I might need to expand the equipment list to include chakram, throwing discs very much like the Rising Sun. As such:

Chakram

A chakram is a metal disc, bladed all the way around and thrown at an enemy. Though it is not recommended or designed for melee combat, it can be used as a melee weapon. However, if used as such the wielder suffers a -1 penalty to attack rolls and must make a DC 15 reflex save or suffer 1/2 damage from the chakram cutting into the user's hand. If the user is wearing plate armor or any armored gauntlet, the reflex save is automatically succeeded.

Weapon Stats: Damage 1d8 (1d6 small) slashing, Critical modifier x2, Range increment 30 ft. (thrown), Cost 1 gp, weight 1 lb.

Now, for the main event:

Rising Sun
This throwing disc is faintly warm to the touch, as if it has been left out in the midday sun for some hours. This, combined with the chakram's radiating flame motif, brings to mind a blazing sun in metallic form.
The Rising Sun is a chakram that channels the power of the sun to burn enemies and purify evil. Sometimes found as a blade attached to a metal glove, the Rising Sun is known as a powerful tool in the fight against evil, though the flame can burn the righteous as well as it can the despotic.
The Rising Sun is a +3 flaming returning chakram. If used in melee, the fire damage is also dealt to the user on an unsuccessful save.
Cost: 50,301 gil.
Alternately, it is not unknown to discover lesser forms of the rising sun as gauntlets. In this instance, these weapons are considered +1 flaming combat gloves that deal slashing damage instead of bludgeoning.
Cost: 8,306 gil

Also note that I am open to do requests - and not just for weapons, either! Armor, shields, accessories - you name it, I'll stat it up if I can! I'll get to what I can between my other projects and hopefully we can fill up the ranks of all the common (and maybe even not-so-common) FF equipment.

I'd really like to see the original buster sword as a legendary type weapon since in crisis core it has such a huge backstory and possibly ultima weapon from ff7.
I know a good spot to find legendary items...least they were back when the game appeared. Not sure how many have recurred. FFVI, had a plethora of unique/legendary equipment, so basically everyone had an 'ultimate' setup. Be kind of funny to see the Imp set from that game as well.
Very cool.
If you are up to the challenge the anima weapon from final fantasy 6
Would be pretty cool too.
It dealt more damage the more hit points you had.
Illumina would be pretty epic too.
As i recall it let you learn ultima in the game,
Maybe cast ultima once per day at your character level.
And it could turn enemies into items.
<(°_°^) (^°_°^) (^°_°)>
I know here it was called Atma, not Anima. You could get two of them, without cheating or cloning. You also had to fight the monster with the same name. He would be a nice addition to the bestiary. If you want things that give you Ultima. The Paladin Shield did that as well.
Sorry about that it's been a few years sense i played it.
You're the designer feel free to go nuts. Lol
<(°_°^) (^°_°^) (^°_°)>
Just realized Fel...you thought Illumina could change enemies to items, it was actually the Ragnarok sword or magicite...you had to choose, but they could both do it i believe. Sorry, not trying to correct ya, but VI was my absolute favorite one and still is. I am all on edge to see some of these put out there now though.
Story wise 6 is the best one in my opinion.
But my favorite one to play was 5. I just love the classic job system which is why i like
Ffd20 so much.
<(°_°^) (^°_°^) (^°_°)>
You said you take requests? What about the Soulsaber, Tiptaptwo, and Seventh Heaven? (Saber/Cutlass, Dagger, and Greatbow, respectively.)