Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Mage Question
Does Blue Mage get 2 level one spells from the start like other mages?
Does he get to learn a new spell each level like other mages?
(04-11-2013, 07:55 AM)Asteron Questar Wrote: Does Blue Mage get 2 level one spells from the start like other mages?
Does he get to learn a new spell each level like other mages?

Yes, I have planned to edit that in, just haven't had time.
So, the only difference is that they can't use scrolls to learn new spells?
My player will be very happy.Smile
(04-11-2013, 09:54 AM)Asteron Questar Wrote: So, the only difference is that they can't use scrolls to learn new spells?
My player will be very happy.Smile

Yes, but other Blue Mages can teach 'em new spells. Smile
We only have one.Smile

I'm starting a PbP game at Giant In The Playground, where should I post a recruitment link?
also, they dont have cantrips
(04-11-2013, 10:03 PM)Raybras Wrote: also, they dont have cantrips

They don't need Cantrips :p They have more HPs, able to use better armor (eventually), and have a better spell list when they get the spells.
Another question regarding them, posted here to avoid cluttering up the board-

Can they only learn a Blue Mage spell from the creature listed in the spell list?

That is, if they see a non-Wind Flan creature use Aero, can they learn it from that creature? Or can they only learn Aero from Wind Flans/a Blue Mage who learned from a Wind Flan?

If the former is so, may I suggest specifying spells can only be learned from creatures that they're inherent to- that is, not learned abilities like spells are for other Mages?

In the case of the latter...

Wow, Blue Mages are shafted. :p
(04-11-2013, 10:38 PM)The-Mage-King Wrote: Another question regarding them, posted here to avoid cluttering up the board-

Can they only learn a Blue Mage spell from the creature listed in the spell list?

That is, if they see a non-Wind Flan creature use Aero, can they learn it from that creature? Or can they only learn Aero from Wind Flans/a Blue Mage who learned from a Wind Flan?

If the former is so, may I suggest specifying spells can only be learned from creatures that they're inherent to- that is, not learned abilities like spells are for other Mages?

In the case of the latter...

Wow, Blue Mages are shafted. :p

Because Blue Mages are a creature caster, they must learn from creatures. A Blue Mage can be taught their spells by another Blue Mage, as well as taking the Azure Knowledge feat to gain new spells as well.

It may seem that Blue Mages get shafted on spells, but the class is very DM-dependent. Requiring the DM to be merciful to allow the Blue Mage to gain new spells.
(04-11-2013, 10:57 PM)Viladin Wrote: Because Blue Mages are a creature caster, they must learn from creatures. A Blue Mage can be taught their spells by another Blue Mage, as well as taking the Azure Knowledge feat to gain new spells as well.

It may seem that Blue Mages get shafted on spells, but the class is very DM-dependent. Requiring the DM to be merciful to allow the Blue Mage to gain new spells.

Do recall that in Pathfinder, everything that can fight/be fought is a creature. Including other PCs.

My question was basically "Can a Blue Mage watch the other wizards in the party use Fire/Aero/ect, make the check, and copy them?". I'd suggest clarifying it, if that's against the intention. Since those spells are learned, not inherent, that would be a good way to clarify the difference.

And indeed, Blue Mages are kinda DM dependent. Yet have the cool powers. :p
(04-11-2013, 11:08 PM)The-Mage-King Wrote:
(04-11-2013, 10:57 PM)Viladin Wrote: Because Blue Mages are a creature caster, they must learn from creatures. A Blue Mage can be taught their spells by another Blue Mage, as well as taking the Azure Knowledge feat to gain new spells as well.

Do recall that in Pathfinder, everything that can fight/be fought is a creature. Including other PCs.

My question was basically "Can a Blue Mage watch the other wizards in the party use Fire/Aero/ect, make the check, and copy them?". I'd suggest clarifying it, if that's against the intention. Since those spells are learned, not inherent, that would be a good way to clarify the difference.

And indeed, Blue Mages are kinda DM dependent. Yet have the cool powers. :p

They can't copy other mages' spells. Smile
I have a quick question. Is the Blue Mage spell list separate from their creature magic, or are they one in the same?
One in the same.
Then is it possible for a Blue Mage to learn a creature's ability if it isn't on that spell list? I do apologize if this is a stupid or already answered question, but the whole concept of the Blue Mage is what's drawn me to FF in general.
(05-23-2013, 05:05 PM)Algol_Star Wrote: Then is it possible for a Blue Mage to learn a creature's ability if it isn't on that spell list? I do apologize if this is a stupid or already answered question, but the whole concept of the Blue Mage is what's drawn me to FF in general.

All of the "current" spells on the Blue Mage Spell List are learned from monsters from the FFd20 monster list. It's always changing as I add more monsters.
(05-23-2013, 05:35 PM)Viladin Wrote:
(05-23-2013, 05:05 PM)Algol_Star Wrote: Then is it possible for a Blue Mage to learn a creature's ability if it isn't on that spell list? I do apologize if this is a stupid or already answered question, but the whole concept of the Blue Mage is what's drawn me to FF in general.

All of the "current" spells on the Blue Mage Spell List are learned from monsters from the FFd20 monster list. It's always changing as I add more monsters.

Okay. Thank you very much for answering my questions. I very much look forward to watching the project progress and seeing how it (and especially this class) turn out.
(05-23-2013, 05:39 PM)Algol_Star Wrote:
(05-23-2013, 05:35 PM)Viladin Wrote:

Okay. Thank you very much for answering my questions. I very much look forward to watching the project progress and seeing how it (and especially this class) turn out.

Not a problem.
How does the Blue Magery Analysis Matery affect the Analysis Flummox? Longer duration?
(06-07-2013, 11:16 AM)Raybras Wrote: How does the Blue Magery Analysis Matery affect the Analysis Flummox? Longer duration?

Yeah, increased duration.
I am a DM and would encourage other DM's to be a little generous with this because the player is taking a leap of faith. Do understand that blue magic is a bit of work for your DM so if you intend to play one I would encourage you to let your DM know as soon as you can so he can work that in. My example here is I am putting in early the Bat Eye creature with 1st level spell Curse. range close will save negates or -2 to hit and -2 to saves duration 1 rd/caster level. Currently none of my players have expressed an interest in the blue mage so I have not done alot to accomodate them in my planning.