Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingdom Hearts: Keyblade Wielding
At first, I thought about specialized classes for wielding Keyblades, but then I realized that would lock the player(s) out of a lot of cool options to make their Keyblade wielder unique. So in this thread, I'm going to share my stats for Keyblades and Keyblade Armor, Feats for becoming a Keyblade Wielder, and special Combat feats. This became a thought when I asked if there were any kind of official plans, and was told there weren't.

If you have further suggestions/additions, I'd love to hear them. I've never homebrewed for a Pathfinder system, let alone for FFd20. I would also love some help creating Heartless and Nobody enemies.

So without further ado!

Keyblade
Exotic, One-Handed, Melee
1d8 damage, 19-20x2, Slashing or Bludgeoning (Player Choice)

-Possible Additional Properties-
Keyblades will both evolve with their wielder, and can be altered by attaching Keychains. Below are properties that can be added to a Keyblade to make it better. Ones marked with a * cannot be chosen together; when you choose one, you lock the others out. At 4th level and every 4 levels beyond, a Keyblade will gain a +1 enhancement bonus, and you can gain a single new Additional Property by changing the Keychain for the weapon (Cannot be done in combat).

*Finesse Weapon: Damage down to 1d6, becomes usable with Weapon Finesse

*Magic Weapon: Damage down to 1d6, gains a Power Staff like attack (Magic bolt of chosen element)

*Heavy: Damage up to 2d6, weapon becomes two-handed

Damage Conversion: Convert all damage the weapon deals into an Element of damage (Fire, Ice, Wind, Earth, Lightning, or Water)

Alignment Crusher: When fighting someone on the opposite end of the Lawful/Chaotic axis of your Alignment, deal an additional 1d6 damage (This does not gain Crit multipliers). 

Heartseeker: Crit range becomes 18-20

Heartcrusher: Critical damage becomes x3

-Keyblade Armor-
Normally obtained when learning as an apprentice under a Keyblade Master, Keyblade Armor is a special suit of magical armor that protects the wearer, both physically, and from the influence of Darkness that surrounds all Worlds in the void of space.

Keyblade Armor: Type (Medium), Armor Bonus +7, Max Dex Bonus +4, Armor Penalty -3. The Keyblade armor also provides the following benefits: +2 Circumstance bonus to Constitution, Dexterity, or Wisdom (Chosen when armor is created), +10 ft base land speed, +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, Immune to Shadow damage

Keyblade Armor can also be summoned off the user and given simple commands. Keyblade Armor cannot fight on its own.

-Feats-

Keyblade Wielder [General]
You have the ability to summon and wield a Keyblade.
Benefit: You are proficient with Keyblades. Keyblades can be summoned and/or dismissed by their wielder as a Bonus Action. Keyblades can be disarmed, but can be re-summoned to the wielder's hand as a Bonus Action assuming the wielder isn't incapacitated. If someone else attempts to take someone's Keyblade, the Keyblade will return to its wielder's hand unless the wielder is incapacitated or has granted their blessing.
Creator's Note: Since prerequisites for becoming a Keyblade Wielder are somewhat unclear in the series, I've made it pretty easy to take this Feat.

Strike Raid [Combat]
Throwing your Keyblade will give it a boomerang effect.
Prerequisite: Proficiency with Keyblades.
Benefit: As a Standard Action, you can throw your Keyblade up to 15 ft. in a straight line; this is treated as a regular Ranged attack during the run through, but on the way back, if the target was hit, the attack comes back as a Ranged Touch attack.

Circle Raid [Combat]
You can now throw your Keyblade into a circle around you.
Prerequisite: Strike Raid
Benefit: As a Standard Action, through your Keyblade in a circle, attacking all enemies in a 10 ft. radius around you. This is treated as a Ranged attack.

Dual Keyblades [General]
You've gained the blessing of a second Keyblade Wielder, allowing you to wield their Key as well.
Prerequisite: Keyblade Wielder, blessing of a second Keyblade Wielder
Benefit: Gain a second Keyblade to wield in your off-hand. Its properties are seperate from your original.
Normal: Keyblade Wielders can only wield a single Keyblade unless they gain the blessing of a second Keyblade Wielder.

Zantetsuken [Combat]
You strike faster than the eye can see, bypassing enemy defenses and striking at their core.
Prerequisite: Keyblade Wielder, 14 Dex
Benefit: Perform a single attack as a Full Action on a target. Treat this attack as a Touch attack, and place yourself on the opposite side of the target that you were standing when completed. This can be done a total times of once per day, plus your Wisdom modifier.
Hmm... for the keyblade, I would probably make it like the dwarven waraxe from 3.5/PF; that is, a keyblade is an exotic, one-handed weapon that can be two-handed as a martial weapon, deals 1d10 slashing or bludgeoning damage, has a crit of x3, and weighs 8 lbs. Dunno what the price would be; I'd probably put it as 75 gil, mostly because of the potential it has with the extra keychains.

As for a lot of the feats, what you're trying to go with there really makes me think of initiators from vanilla Pathfinder. Maybe they could be divided into a couple of different specializations and get their disciplines from that? Like, a 'Power' set would give you Iron Tortoise (with a feature that lets you use your keyblade as a shield by doing two dice sizes down in bludgeoning damage), Primal Fury, Scarlet Throne, and Thrashing Dragon, a 'Balanced' set would give you Elemental Flux, Mithral Current, Riven Hourglass, and Steel Serpent, and a 'Magic' set would give you Elemental Flux (as well as an animus pool), Shattered Mirror, Veiled Moon, and either Silver Crane (if good) or Black Seraph (if evil).

Alternately, we could do something similar to the Sword Saint's schtick, perhaps even making the Keyblade Wielder into a Sword Saint archetype with its own set of abilities, and maybe some spellcasting; a lot of the extra stuff you're trying to do here really should be class-exclusive. The Keyblade Wielder feat in particular, that's pretty much exactly how a Soulknife works (albeit using things like swift actions, bonus actions are a thing for 5e D&D, not Pathfinder).

The keychains, being weapon mods that have some obviously magical effects, need to also be priced, and be reasonably expensive at that. The keyblade itself also shouldn't be getting an enhancement bonus as you level; that should be something that a class specializing in wielding keyblades gets, not everyone who uses a keyblade.
(11-21-2017, 05:46 PM)Manly Man Wrote: Hmm... for the keyblade, I would probably make it like the dwarven waraxe from 3.5/PF; that is, a keyblade is an exotic, one-handed weapon that can be two-handed as a martial weapon, deals 1d10 slashing or bludgeoning damage, has a crit of x3, and weighs 8 lbs. Dunno what the price would be; I'd probably put it as 75 gil, mostly because of the potential it has with the extra keychains.

As for a lot of the feats, what you're trying to go with there really makes me think of initiators from vanilla Pathfinder. Maybe they could be divided into a couple of different specializations and get their disciplines from that? Like, a 'Power' set would give you Iron Tortoise (with a feature that lets you use your keyblade as a shield by doing two dice sizes down in bludgeoning damage), Primal Fury, Scarlet Throne, and Thrashing Dragon, a 'Balanced' set would give you Elemental Flux, Mithral Current, Riven Hourglass, and Steel Serpent, and a 'Magic' set would give you Elemental Flux (as well as an animus pool), Shattered Mirror, Veiled Moon, and either Silver Crane (if good) or Black Seraph (if evil).

Alternately, we could do something similar to the Sword Saint's schtick, perhaps even making the Keyblade Wielder into a Sword Saint archetype with its own set of abilities, and maybe some spellcasting; a lot of the extra stuff you're trying to do here really should be class-exclusive. The Keyblade Wielder feat in particular, that's pretty much exactly how a Soulknife works (albeit using things like swift actions, bonus actions are a thing for 5e D&D, not Pathfinder).

The keychains, being weapon mods that have some obviously magical effects, need to also be priced, and be reasonably expensive at that. The keyblade itself also shouldn't be getting an enhancement bonus as you level; that should be something that a class specializing in wielding keyblades gets, not everyone who uses a keyblade.

While I think you may be right, the perspective I'm working with here is allowing as many of the playstyles for FFd20 as possible to integrate with the use of Keyblades...

Also, I'm really bad at designing classes. Though doing something that's a mix of Sword Saint and Red Mage might work... Is that a possible Hybrid Class, or are Hybrid Classes only good between Core Classes? Because Sword Saint is already a Hybrid Class, but it's got its own mechanics...

God I'm already confused.
That's actually one of the reasons why I'd suggested the initiators. It's very hard to find a concept that can't somehow be worked into through the use of maneuvers. You can have two players with the exact same class, and they can play completely differently through maneuver choice alone. For example, you could have two keyblade wielders who take the Power path. One of them picks Iron Tortoise and Thrashing Dragon for their maneuvers (either dual-wielding keyblades or going with a 'blade-and-board build), who ends up being a whiz at fending off opponents while tearing them apart with a barrage of hits. The other picks Primal Fury and Scarlet Throne instead, and ends up being super-aggressive, focusing on busting out a bunch of strikes and boosts, charging around the battlefield. Maybe another takes advantage of the mechanic for being able to use their keyblade as a shield and uses Iron Tortoise and Scarlet Throne to be heavy on counters from both disciplines while using Scarlet Throne to dish out good damage with strikes (which would honestly be the way I would go with it, if I was playing one).

However, the initiator archetypes I've been working on haven't been made official yet, so if you'd wanna see this sooner, then you're better off not going that direction. And when it comes to making hybrid classes out of other hybrid classes, while I think it's technically possible, it seems kinda, I dunno, out of whack. Making a whole new class that shares a system similar to the Sword Saint (which is already kind of a Diet Coke initiator) seems like a good idea, or maybe just making an archetype, if we're feeling a bit lazy. I kind of want to give them a whole class of their own though, so as to let them have archetypes of their own.