Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FF Campaign for Local D&D Group
I'm still very new to playing the game at all, esp. since I've been exposed to various D&D systems in my research and have only played about 4 sessions so far. But if I do DM, which is possible, especially if my schedule doesn't change with a job, I've been trying to think of a campaign that allows me to use preexisting material and tweak it as necessary.

Initially, I thought Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 was a solid base, since it has D&D setting to begin with. But then I realized that there was something more compelling and more a part of my background as a gamer, Final Fantasy. I found the site and have been slowly learning about the system, already trying to incorporate it into my general D&D knowledge.

I'm already trying to get a skeleton going for the campaign as a whole, though I likely need to divide it into sagas of sorts. The first session will have our party start in Cornelia (yes, FF1 locations are incorporated in this mishmash world I'm creating), then we head to the Altar Cave (from 3). After fighting Jackal (because I need a Thief character and I'd rather not kill Locke or Zidane in an encounter), we're directed to Matoya's Cave, where we start the next session. The story will become more complicated because I've devised a subplot where the party gets mysterious colored orbs that are like the crystals, but lesser keys instead of world saving artifacts. Lani from 9 is likely to an antagonist along with Guzco from 2 and Garland will probably be an important threat, though overthrown as is common for villains. No Chaos in this game, most likely.

Not sure if the players will want to use the races from this conversion, even if I tweak them to be simpler, like 3.5, but I'll definitely have the group encounter some diverse races from FF lore, like Viera, Bangaa and Moogles, among others. I decided Tarutaru might be too much like Moogles, though if I change my mind, I can include them later. Same thing with Elves: the Elf races in this setting will be Guado and Viera, connected to the afterlife and nature respectively.

The setting is tricky, especially since I need to construct a map so that this mishmash of locations from various games into a cogent landscape. And I want to have some established notions about the races I'm including as well as rough histories, though that can come up as people inquire more than something I've decided from the start. And the major difficulty with DMing for me is that our players have probably close to 2 decades of experience and knowledge between them, so it'll be tricky to outthink them. One idea so far is having some Ropers attack them in a future dungeon.
(06-07-2015, 11:45 PM)muichimotsu Wrote: The story will become more complicated because I've devised a subplot where the party gets mysterious colored orbs that are like the crystals, but lesser keys instead of world saving artifacts.

That's funny, I have a similar plot going with my campaign.
It gets more complex when I start saying that the orbs are just keys to the Elemental Crystals, but I'm not even sure of that, since the endgame is what I'm calling the World Crystal